Is it possible to install leopard from the macbook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleLight, Jan 10, 2009.

1. AppleLight macrumors member

Hey all,

I have a copy of leopard (.iso) and also one in .dmg format on my macbook. My little bro then scratched it all up thus rendering it unusable. Because I make a copy of them in case this happens how do I install it?

I tried the .iso and converted it to .dmg and both did not work. I don't have a dual layer DVD burner, nor do I have the funds for an external harddrive right now..

any ideas welcome..

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, you'll need to burn the image to a DL DVD

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Haven't tried it but googling for "install Leopard from dmg" turned up lots of results.

This site suggests partitioning your hard drive but I don't see why this method wouldn't work from an external drive or even iPod.

What exactly did you do when you tried it from a dmg?

4. AppleLight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ill check them out now.

I got the .iso file double clicked it, then tried to install. It just started up as tiger again. So i converted it to a .dmg using terminal and have both on my desktop.

I double clicked that and the same thing happens.

I have an iPod 5.5g 30GB, but i thought that it wasnt possible to put things on there above 4GB?

Or can i reformat the harddrive into another format?

I knew i shouldve hidden the leopard disk lol.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Ok, you can't install directly from a dmg on your desktop. You need to first get the dmg onto a bootable partition.

Again, googling "install leopard from ipod" found me this - http://lifehacker.com/338574/install-leopard-with-your-ipod

Remember, I haven't done this myself so I don't really know how easy it is. It seems like just a couple of hours work max, though.

6. AppleLight thread starter macrumors member

Again, thanks. When you search are they on the first page?

Ok, im going to try it with my iPod ill let you know how it goes..

just one question if i erase the volume ( it tells me to) can i still use the ipod after leopard is booted onto the mac if i restore software onto it? and would that just happen through itunes?

7. AppleLight thread starter macrumors member

Dont answer that, i found it it will.

Okay i'll post it when its complete hopefully.

8. AppleLight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot, it really helped me, the lifehackers website that is.

I'm running leopard now, prefer it to tiger.

Although i did have to restart the installation process around 9 times since it kept crashing. i found it was because the display went to sleep. so i kept moving the trackpad, but it stopped at 17 minutes remaining. Then i had to restart and it stopped at 10 then the last time it just did it. Although i did take out the drivers for the printers and the languages translation since they don't have arabic there.

Oh yeah, I had to make sure the iPod was restored in iTunes first to make it macintosh formatted then i erased the volume and carried on. I just restored the iPod back to the firmware.

Thanks!

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i keep leopard on a 8gig usb flash drive

makes install soooo much faster than dvd