Is it possible to install single OS X on multiple partitions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by exFictitiouZ, Aug 13, 2010.

1. exFictitiouZ macrumors newbie

No, I don't mean dual-booting two OS'es, but rather a single Snow Leopard on 2 partitions (i.e. Applications, System, and Library on one partition and Users on the other)

I apologise if this question has been asked before.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, its possible. A bit tricky at first but it is doable.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I am not sure if that is possible, but out of curiosity, what purpose would that serve?

5. exFictitiouZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoa, thanks everyone for the really quick reply
    For those of us who're curious about what I'm trying to do, it's just that I'm planning on manually installing a second SSD into my new iMac. However, its meager capacity won't handle my music, photos, and all others. But if it's only OS-related files then it's gonna do the job fine. :)

6. tomllama macrumors regular

Hellhammer's post is what you want. I think what you are really want to do is to install the OS and applications on the SSD and all user files on a HDD (not 2 partitions of the same drive). His link tells you how to do this. If you do a Google search you'll find many other 'how to' tutorials for moving the user files in Leopard or Snow Leopard. Pick out the one that seems easiest for you to follow. (It is what I have done for my SSD too - OS and Aps on the SSD and all user files and shared files on other HDDs.)

There is no real-world benefit to doing this with 2 partitions on a single drive.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If your planning to install the SSD into your 27" iMac without ordering one preinstalled from Apple, it is going to be very hard to do. You'll have to find the mounting bracket and the oddly shaped SATA cable to do this.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Back in the day (10.0 and 10.1) this sort of setup was actually commonly used for speed. I had a partitioned OSX install. I don't think it's as easy to setup as it used to be.