Is it possible to install Win7 on mac mini, single boot, no osx partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by yegon, Nov 22, 2009.

1. yegon macrumors 68020

My main machine is a MBP, runnning Snow Leopard - very happy with it.

I've got a mac mini running SL and W7, but I only ever use W7 on it. Is it possible to have a single partition on it running only Windows 7? Is it even possible to boot from a Windows & install disk *without* going near boot camp?

I ask because it's only a 320gb hdd and I'd like to maximise the disk space on it - this isn't a yawnsome debate of W7 v SL :)

Cheers

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes, it is. Not quite single as you still need a small partition of 200MB in the front but you can make it all Windows 7. If you are doing x64, you will have to play with the iso first as described here for Vista: http://jowie.com/blog/post/2008/02/...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx otherwise you can just pop Windows 7 in and boot up from the DVD and format.

Note that it is advisable to have a small OSX partition (say 20GB) for firmware updates and the like.

3. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

Aah, yeah, that's a good point. It's currently about 50gb OSX, the rest W7. I'll probably do a small partition for that reason, plus I'm running x64 so it saves me the hassle of fiddling.

Thanks.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need OSX for potential firmware upgrades.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Yeah, but you can easily install OS X to an external HDD or even a thumb drive if you want to maximize internal HDD space.

B

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

So true. My iMac 24 uses 1.5 TB external. The 500GB internal drive it came with is all Win7. Works great except the special Mac keys and some bluetooth kybd and mouse issues. I can't wait for Apple to actually support Win7.

Cheers,