Is it possible to kill a system shortcut?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mekkon, May 3, 2012.

1. mekkon macrumors newbie

Quick question: Is there any way to turn off the "Command-H" shortcut that hides applications. I can't find it in the system preferences, although many other shortcuts are listed there.

Basically I want to use that shortcut as a "highlight" command in Word - but cannot program it as such because it's a system command that's currently active.

Any help is much appreciated - I've spent the last two days searching for an answer without any luck!

2. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse Preference --> Keyboard Shortcuts Tab --> Click the plus sign at the bottom left --> Find your Word application --> Follow instructions and add what you need it to do with the keyboard command you want

Hope that helps.

3. mekkon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but no dice unfortunately. It seems that you can't reprogram default shortcuts without turning them off first. Lots of them can be accessed in the system preferences menu, but not HIDE. No idea why! I guess it's just not possible?

----------

Ditto with "command-Q" to quit an application. I'd much prefer to use that as a shortcut to format text as a quote, but it doesn't seem possible to turn off the universal shortcut.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I'd make it [option]+[Q] or [option]+[command]+[Q]. (or whatever letter)