Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
I have a Rev A 17" Intel iMac and it's hot to the touch. I'm thinking that it can't be good for it so is there anyway to force the fans to come on when I want? Or should I not worry about it?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I don't think one can force the fans on. They'll come on when it hits a certain temp, I wouldn't worry about it unless they NEVER come on.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
iMacs don't have temp gauges as far as I'm aware. And I've never heard them come on apart from that update a few months back...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It has to have some sort of temp gauge, perhaps it's just not accessible from the OS (meaning it's part of/controlled by the EFI).

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Oh, there's a temp sensor in there somewhere. The Core Duo just runs cool enough relative to the early G5s that you don't hear the fans much.

Finding the sensor and cutting the wire (or leaving it disconnected) would of course force the fans on full blast, but that's not a useful soltion and there is nothing in software that I know of.

Really, it's almost certainly fine--it just runs warm, as pretty much every computer does (heck my ACD gets VERY toasty, and it doesn't even have a fan--sure it's not just the screen getting warm?).

But here's something you can try if you're freaking out about it: On the Intel Minis there is a way to trick the fans into running full blast all the time. If you disconnect the power (and everything else) from the computer, then hold down the power button while plugging the power back in, when you hook everything else up and boot the fans will be stuck on full blast.

This MIGHT work on an Intel iMac, too, though I haven't tried it. It shouldn't hurt anything--you're just confusing the firmware control of the fans--but it's very noisy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.