Is it possible to merge iTunes libraries?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CSB, Sep 3, 2011.

1. CSB macrumors newbie

Hey,

I have two different iTunes libraries on two macs and I was wondering if it was possible to take one of the libraries and transfer it and merge with the other..

if it is only possible by taking the original music files (which are all organized) then I know I can just transfer the raw files, however, all of the music was organized and corrected in the iTunes' get info for each song.. because of how much music I'm dealing with, it would be very difficult to redo this step in the new library and would take weeks, even months to do..

another possible way that crossed my mind is if I had an iPod with one library, could I replace or add to my current library with the songs on the iPod?

Thanks,
    -Andrew :)

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Those files should have had their metadata saved within the file so importing it to another iTunes library should keep it.

Try importing an album and see if your tags are how you want them. If it is then import all your songs that way. If not, you'll have to find another way.

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

If you enable Home Sharing it will let you browse and import files from one computer to another (this will include metadata that's not tagged in the files).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4620

4. CSB thread starter macrumors newbie