Is it possible to merge two conversation?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jardins de Vin, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

There’s this person that doesn’t have an iPhone so we text via normal texts. But she does have an iPod which has iMessages on it, so we also text over iMessage. It’s kind of annoying to have two conversations, even though I’ve created only one contact for her, with her number in there (for normal texts) and her email address (that she uses for iMessage).

Is that maybe because both conversations existed before I added her as a single contact?

:apple::p

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The problem is that iMessages and texts are not the same thing. (But are both handled by the same app, which is what's confusing.)

If you both had iPhones and you got 2 threads by accident I could tell you how to fix it.

But it's not possible here because she's using 2 totally different devices with 2 different communication systems. The only "solution" here is to tell her to stop using one of her devices to talk to you with.

I'd rather just put up with the 2 threads than do that, though. I agree it sucks, but until she buys an iPhone it's all you can do. iPods can't text and cell phones can't iMessage.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hmm yeah, but I thought since they’re in the same “contact”, it would be possible to merge these. Then it would be as if I text someone who’s got an iPhone, but no internet coverage. If set to “Send as a text [if there’s no internet]”, then it will do exactly this and it will appear as a text. Then both texts and iMessages get mixed. Because an iPhone without internet, sending a text message is basically just like a device without iMessage, and yet both texts and iMessages can get mixed up?

Is there definitely no solution? It doesn’t bother me *that* much of course, we text over iMessage most of the time, probably because I once told her. I just thought it would be cool!

4. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I wish there was a way to LEAVE a group conversation.