Is it possible to merge two mac partitions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevenros, May 12, 2011.

1. stevenros macrumors newbie

I have three partitions in my Mac drive.
    1. System drive (Main volume) (20 GB)
    2. Data drive (10 GB - 4 Gb free space)
    3. Data drive2 (10 GB - 2 GB free space)

Now I want to merge Data drive and Data drive2 so that I can use 6 GB of free space all together.

I didn't find any option in Apple's disk utility.
    Help please.....

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You would have to erase Data drive2, then expand Data drive to fill the space. Only possible with Leopard and later, IIRC. I'd say with that small of a drive, it's time for an upgrade, though.

jW

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I would advise transferring the data off of the "Data drive" 1 and 2 using target disk mode and an external HDD or a USB stick, delete the two partitions, and then repartitioning the two partitions as one large partition. Then just transfer the data back to the new partition. There might be an easier way, but this shouldn't take long at all and is guaranteed to work.

4. stevenros, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

stevenros thread starter macrumors newbie

partition manager for Mac

Thanks Mal,

But your solution could delete my data and require an external drive.
    I have planned to merge the free spaces (4 GB from Data Drive and 2GB from Data Drive 2) to create a new partition.
    My friend has a third party tool for such tasks and today I am going to try that. I hope it will work.

will be back soon....

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's the only way to do it and preserve the data. I don't think your friend's tool will help you out, and I really hope you have the data backed up before you try it, because you're setting yourself up for problems if you don't.

jW