Is it possible to mod a PC battery into an iBook G3 Clamshell?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by garirry, Aug 5, 2014.

1. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

So, here's the thing. I have an iBook G3 Clamshell that I have in my computer collection. Unfortunately, the battery was dead when I bought it (used). I wanted to replace the battery, but in most websites you can't find them and the only places where you can actually find them, you must buy them for 99$. For me, it's not a necessity to replace the battery, so I don't want to shell out 100$ for a battery for a computer I will probably barely use.

I wonder, is it possible to take a battery from a laptop PC and somehow mod it to put it in the G3? I have a few laying around (I think), or at least I could get one from useless/broken computers people give me. Do you think it is possible?

Thanks in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No. Clamshell iBooks take a very uniquely shaped battery. You can purchase a new third party one from Amazon for about $55. Although being in Canada the price may be a bit higher.

3. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make sure you purchase one that has a return policy. Sometimes those batteries can die just by sitting around waiting to be sold.

5. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry