Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Basically, is there a way to automatically mute a work-related app so that when you get home you would not receive any notifications while out of the office?

Of course I could manually turn off notifications and whatnot but it's too cumbersome to do this every day. So is there a way the phone would automatically put an app into DND mode or so?

Thanks

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Have you explored the Focus settings to allow notifications on the weekends for certain apps and not others?

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Have you explored the Focus settings to allow notifications on the weekends for certain apps and not others?
I thought about that, but doesn't it mean that I would need to set a Focus mode to turn on every day when I get home (and to turn off when I leave the house) + keep the Focus mode on the weekends as well? So basically the app that I want to mute would be the only thing not allowed for notifications and sounds during the Focus mode?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Create a custom Focus which silences the app. Then create an automation in Shortcuts which sets this Focus when you arrive at "home". Enable it.
Everytime you’ll arrive at the “home” you set within this automation, the app in question will be automatically silenced.
Extend or create another automation which "activates" the app when you leave "home".

Reactions: 0128672

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
So basically the app that I want to mute would be the only thing not allowed for notifications and sounds during the Focus mode?

Correct, but might not be as bad as it sounds: how many apps do you use that send notifications and how truly important are those notifications? Especially on the weekend? Might turn out to be a small set, so the weekend Focus could be "time sensitive" and a handful of apps.

As for using an Automation for arriving home, can skip that and use the location option in the Focus you setup. Plug in your home address and good to (come and) go.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Create a custom Focus which silences the app. Then create an automation in Shortcuts which sets this Focus when you arrive at "home". Enable it.
Everytime you’ll arrive at the “home” you set within this automation, the app in question will be automatically silenced.
Extend or create another automation which "activates" the app when you leave "home".
Focus works with location (as well as time). No need for automation.

(for example, you can set Work Out focus activated only when you arrive at your gym. It will deactivate once you leave the gym as well)

Zea74

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Belgium
I guess the OP is looking for something I’ve also been wondering about: a Focus mode that is active when I’m working (and allows notifications of work-related apps), but when NOT in that work-focus mode, the work apps are not sending notifications. Seems at present a non-work Focus mode is required to enable this. So basically the opposite logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.