Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
I asked this question before somewhere in the forum but did not remember an answer.

I always set my web browsers with a local "bookmark" file as the homepage, so every time I start a browser I can have quick (lazy) access to the sites of interest by clicking, which is much easier than "dragging" the bookmark menu on a laptop.

Since Apple "disabled" the file:///, or local:// command in mobile Safari, I am wondering if there is any other browser that can enable these functions so I can have a bookmark file saved somewhere in my iPad or iPhone.

Or is there any "jailbreak" features that may allow to do so, or even open local photos in browser? Thanks!

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I don't think it's possible unless you jailbreak. If Safari can't do it, and last time I checked it couldn't, then no other browser will, either, since they're all based on the same WebKit code and the approved API doesn't allow direct file access to anywhere. If you jailbreak, try iFile.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think putting a file into an iPad is that difficult, and couple of apps can do that. Still, once the file is inside iPad, I am still not sure how to direct a browser to its location to open it. (Perhaps into Safari's app folder? But for that sake Safari does not even have a homepage screen!)

Maybe you are right it is an Apple restriction whcih nobody can bypass. Have not heard any JB app can do this yet. iFile can merely allow you access the file system, nothing more......

I don't think it's possible unless you jailbreak. If Safari can't do it, and last time I checked it couldn't, then no other browser will, either, since they're all based on the same WebKit code and the approved API doesn't allow direct file access to anywhere. If you jailbreak, try iFile.

rphiggins

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
File location

file:///var/mobile/Library/Mail/Attachments/test/Transfer.html.

This is the pathname of an email attachment called transfer.HTML

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Interesting!

Tried in Safari with one of my own attachments, still said "couldn't open local file". Other browsers gave error, or "not exist". Do you need any special app to do that?

However, at least I can have a quick view of the file in Mail, and if there is hyperlink inside, tap on it will bring it open in Safari.

Still not ideal as displaying the whole page in a browser, and stll not direct access of local file by any browser.:(

file:///var/mobile/Library/Mail/Attachments/test/Transfer.html.

This is the pathname of an email attachment called transfer.HTML

Magnephi

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
It Can Be Done...

...but only by JB. "file:// schema" will embed in mobile substrate so it will work on all firmware.

Frantz

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2014
Puffin browser

The Puffin browser allows you to save files/attachments from emails etc in the iPad and then open it with iBook or Acrobat Reader etc.

I asked this question before somewhere in the forum but did not remember an answer.

I always set my web browsers with a local "bookmark" file as the homepage, so every time I start a browser I can have quick (lazy) access to the sites of interest by clicking, which is much easier than "dragging" the bookmark menu on a laptop.

Since Apple "disabled" the file:///, or local:// command in mobile Safari, I am wondering if there is any other browser that can enable these functions so I can have a bookmark file saved somewhere in my iPad or iPhone.

Or is there any "jailbreak" features that may allow to do so, or even open local photos in browser? Thanks!

ColinWt

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
iFile, a jailbreak-only app will let you browse through a hyperlinked set of HTML documents in a local folder, if that is the type of local file you are talking about. which is awesome, because safari will not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.