Is it possible to play 3D blu-rays on mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by camilaacolide, Jan 30, 2014.

1. camilaacolide macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro Retina and I recently purchased an LG 3D Blu-Ray Disc Reader that works via USB. It can read data on blu-ray discs just fine, but I'd like to watch a 3D blu-ray (The Little Mermaid) on my 3D Philips TV through the HDMI connection. Is it possible? What OSX player supports 3D blu-ray?

Thanks a lot!
    :D

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

No Apple supplied application plays blu-ray.

3rd party players do it, but you have to rip it first.

I would just buy a cheap blu-ray player, they cost less than $100

3. camilaacolide thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you tell me one 3rd party player that supports rips? I don't mind ripping my own blu-rays in order to watch them. But I only could find players with 3D support for windows… none for mac.
    :(

4. gsander macrumors newbie

I rip blu-rays regularly using a USB LG "Slim portable Blu-Ray Writer" on my MBP with Handbrake and then use MakeMKV to create ATV and iPad/pod/phone version. Works great.

5. venom600 macrumors 6502a

There is no Mac BluRay 3D support because, to my knowledge, there is no support for 3D displays in OS X. The existing Mac Bluray players won't be able to show anything in 3D. You might be able to get it to work in Windows, but I'm not even sure if the drivers will allow it.