is it possible to pre-order an iPhone 7 with a prepaid contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daptin, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Daptin macrumors newbie

Daptin

I am one of the thousands disappointed Apple fans who set the alarm clock at midnight PST to preorder at apple.com just to find out that you needed to provide a valid cell phone number (and I don't have one at present time with any US carrier). I called an Apple rep who confirmed that they were not offering "sim free" phones. What if I bought a cheap disposable phone with a prepaid contract from one of the 4 carriers? Would that work?

2. wesbowhunts macrumors member

3. Daptin thread starter macrumors newbie

Daptin

Thanks Wes, but it looks like T-Mobile is no exception: apparently prepaid contracts won't do.

4. reyalP macrumors 6502

reyalP

I'm on a Prepaid Verizon account and was also disappointed that I couldn't order one. The only option I know is to wait for Apple to release the sim free version. Hopefully. Apple will release it as quickly as they did the 6s series.

5. wesbowhunts macrumors member

How so? Im on prepaid. Cricket wireless. I ordered 2 of the t mobile ip7 delivering on launch day. Direct from apple.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2016 ---
    Like so, it doesn't make you validate your number or account.

Attached Files:

6. randalblanken macrumors regular

I'm also on cricket. I wanted the Verizon model because I like the option of having both GSM and CDMA available. By the time I found out I could order the t-mobile phone from Apple it was too late and there weren't any available on launch day. Now I'm trying to plan where I may go this weekend to try and get one as a walkin, which is a first for me...

7. rain111 macrumors 6502a

rain111

I am curious, why Apple US never release unlocked iPhone(s) the same time as launch day? I am in the UK, so they have them unlocked from 1st day direct from Apple.

8. wesbowhunts macrumors member

They are all unlocked. The other 3 carriers just make you activate it on their network in order to buy it.

9. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I am not a T Mobile customer and I ordered 2 7 plus black 32 T Mobile phones.

10. rain111 macrumors 6502a

rain111

I thought if you buy it from Apple Store you have to have a contract in one of the cell provider, you can't buy one unlocked (sim-free) like we have the option here in the UK? or am I wrong here?

11. LoveMyMacPro macrumors regular

LoveMyMacPro

Remember, the AT&T and T-Mobile phones will not work if your prepaid service is through Verizon or Sprint. The Sprint and Verizon ones will work with all carriers but you can't by them without having a Sprint or Verizon account.

The major carriers always prioritize postpaid customers over prepaid.