Is it possible to recover erased files from a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DudeMartin, May 23, 2011.

1. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Hello everyone.

Recently, I was hacked on a game so I figured I should reinstall my OS just to make sure that it wasn't a keylogger/RAT/etc. I know it's not very likely that my MacBook was infected by a virus, but even if it's a 1% chance, I'd rather not take it.

Anyways, I put my most valuable files on a DVD disc (my Java programming projects, photos, etc) so that when I finish reinstalling Mac OS X, I can just pop the DVD in and get my important files back. Well, after I finished setting up the OS after reinstalling, I somehow thought that I had copied the files so I erased the contents of the DVD (I used Disk Utility). Well I didn't copy the files over.

So my question is, can I recover erased files off of a DVD, much like from a hard drive? When I erased the files, I used 'Quick' not 'Complete,' so that might help.

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

Data Rescue or File Salvage might help.

Regarding the virus angst:
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.