Is it possible to register as an iPad developer for free?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by applesucks100%, Oct 10, 2010.

1. applesucks100% macrumors newbie

Can I register as a developer for free or do I need to pay the $99 fee? I am just trying to test simple applications on my laptop firstly without paying the $99 fee but I cannot find the 'Provisioning Portal' button when I log in!! Anyone any ideas on where I can find this magical button?!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

For free you can download the tools and run in the simulator. If you want to install apps for testing on a device (say an iPad), sell in the app store or get access to beta firmware you must pay. So whilst you can register for free you cannot do what you want to do for free.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C5101c Safari/6533.18.5)

To be sure, you don't need a provisioning profile to test using the Simulator.

4. applesucks100% thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. So to confirm, I do not need to set up a provisioning profile if I only want to test an app using the simulator? It's just that the book that I am following tells me that I can create apps for free but it also instructs me to set up the provisioning profile (via the provisioning profile button). I take it that this button will only appear to those who have paid the fee?

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Correct.

Which book? It really helps if you can be specific as possible when referring to books, tutorials, blogs, etc. when mentioning where you're getting instruction or things you've already tried.

Not sure if the button you are referring to is the link to the iOS Provisioning Portal that is seen as part of the iOS Dev Center for paid developers.

P.S. Just a warning: your username is not going to elicit a whole lot of sympathy around here. Gnome sane?