Is it possible to remap the volume function keys?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richard.mac, Nov 8, 2007.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Hi guys

How would i go about remapping the volume function keys on my old white apple keyboard to match the sequence order of the macbook's volume keys?

what i mean is how can i remap the volume keys above the numpad so they are used in this order: mute, volume down, volume up like on the macbooks for F17, F18, F19 respectively instead of volume down, volume up, mute like on the old white apple keyboards for F17, F18, F19 respectively. if it is possible i would then just switch the volume keycaps around to match the mapping.

i found this article about modifying the com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist to change the exposé and dashboard keys link. it says near the bottom that it may be possible to remap the volume keys but the author did not know the values... damn so close! does anyone know the values for the volume keys or know of any other way to change them?

thanks for reading and i look forward to reading your replies.

rich

2. brettanderson macrumors member

this would be SO useful especially because Apple switched the media, screen brightness and volume keys, on the new keyboards. in my case, the assignments on the new wireless keyboard does not match the MBP layout. As such it's a pain using two different sets of keyboard shortcuts, when switching between the two keyboards.

3. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

i didnt think anyone would reply but it looks like you did brett so its good to know that someone else wants to know too.

so im bumping this thread hoping that someone knows how to do this. ive tried controllermate with no success so is there anyway of doing this by editing any system files?

4. Stiksi macrumors regular

Stiksi

I would like also to know if it is possible to switch these keys so that you would need the fn-key to access the brightness and volume controls etc. not the normal F-key functions. This would be very helpful when using programs that rely heavily on F-keys. Or it could be I'm just being a clueless newbie... :confused:

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's easy. Just go into System Preferences, Keyboard pane, and check the box that says "Use function keys for software features".

6. Stiksi macrumors regular

Stiksi

7. toupsz macrumors newbie

If anyone has figured out a solution to the OP's problem, I'd love to hear it!

I just switched from a Powerbook to a new Macbook Pro and the new layout for the volume keys is driving me nuts. I like to use the function keys as actual function keys, so I use the Fn+F key to do the volume. Used to be that I could adjust the volume with one hand (since it was F3-F5)...but my hand won't reach from the Fn key to the F10-F12 keys. :(

-Zach

8. rubah macrumors newbie

man, still no solution? I'm still interested in one!

9. mishamazor macrumors newbie

Solution!

Use Keyboard Maestro

Make a NEW MACRO for each volume button, it can map then to the F17,18,19 keys.

Best!

10. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

A while back, someone suggested to me this little gem called FunctionFlip.

It is, hands down, one of the best ways to remap your function keys. :)

12. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

arggh $50 sounds a bit step just for a few keys. im not 100% sure it will work?

ill give FunctionFlip a try.

EDIT: FunctionFlip says there are no special function keys for my Apple USB Keyboard.

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Just in case someone stumbles on this thread and needs a way to remap keys:

There is a free program called Spark that does a great job of remapping virtually any command, text snippet, or application to practically any key you want.

If you want to remap volume, look under "System" commands, and you'll probably want to check "Display Notification Icon", so that it shows up on screen when you make volume changes.

If you like the program, you should donate to the author. He has done a great job with this.

Enjoy!

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Great ad, and it's free! ;)

15. tbertran macrumors newbie

Indeed, a great job by the developer.
    Anybody found a way to map the volume buttons on the alum keyboard (hitting those keys to set a shortcut in Spark just increases/decreases the volume)…

For now I'm using [OPTION] + [=] and [OPTION] + [-] to adjust iTunes' volume.

16. freakqnc macrumors newbie

Fantastic free utility, solved the problem to re-map keys using a non-apple keyboard with a mac pro! Kudos to the developer and shame on Apple for not implementing flexible and more advanced shortcut-handling features on OS X!

17. DeltaHF macrumors member

I know this post is a bit old now, but I just wanted to say thanks for sharing this awesome utility. I use a Das Keyboard and only needed to add functional volume keys - this worked perfectly. I will definitely send a donation to the developer!

18. brucku macrumors regular

A program called Sizzling Keys also does a nice job with some of these challenges.

19. physicsdude1, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

physicsdude1 macrumors member

I'm having the same problem. I want to remap the volume from fn-10 to fn-f1. But Spark only registers it as f1 and not fn-f1.

Any ideas?

:: EDIT ::
    I found a nice little program for remapping keys. Its free, so that's nice.

http://lifehacker.com/#!376924/spark-creates-mac-keyboard-shortcuts
    http://www.shadowlab.org/Software/spark.php