Is it possible to remote-access my MacBook Pro away from home?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lip5016, Nov 14, 2014.

1. lip5016, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

lip5016 macrumors regular

Is it possible to remote-access my MacBook Pro away from home?

What I currently have:

Late-2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 (OSX Mavericks 10.9.5)
    2.5ghz Intel i7 quad-core
    16gb RAM, 1024gb SSD raid-0 (internal)

Connecting to the internet through:

Apple Time Capsule 2TB (via ethernet)
    +
    Time Warner Cable "Ultimate 100" (top speed)

-

I would basically like to be able to have my MacBook Pro on *at home* and connected to the internet via ethernet to the Apple Time Capsule.. and then be able to somehow connect and log in to my MacBook Pro, either through another computer or preferably, my iPhone 5s..

Mostly just interested in having accessibility to be able to make downloads, such as magnet links, while away from the computer.. and basically be able to come home to mostly finished or complete downloads.. Basically like how you can DVR/TiVo things from your iPhone and have it sync with your DVR/TiVo while away from home..

Is this possible? Thank you!!

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Set up remote screen sharing on the computer at home.

Install a VNC client on the device you want to use to connect remotely.

Set up your router to forward requests on the VNC port to the Mac you're designating to share (sorry, can't help too much here). You'll also need to make note of your external/ISP IP address each time you leave, but if your router stays connected all the time it's unlikely to change often.

On the device you're using to connect, open VNC then enter the username on the remote Mac@external IP address for the destination address, it would end up being something like hallux@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx This tells the VNC client what username to use when connecting to the designated IP. You should then be prompted for a password.

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

wow that's so dope and looks surprisingly easy (for once) lollll

do you have any idea if I could get something like an app on my iPhone 5s (most recent version) where I could download magnet links remotely? This would be super cool bc Vuze automatically runs any magnet link files I download so it would be cool to be able to do this from my phone!

thanks for your help! :)