Is it possible to remove disk images from desktop??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dlewisdm, Mar 3, 2008.

1. dlewisdm macrumors member

Hi all,

Just got my MBP today (so I apologize for this question in advance) and I've installed a couple of programs (VM Ware Fusion and Firefox) and I'm wondering if it is possible to remove the disk image from the desktop after the program is installed.

Also, just to clarify, after the disk image is mounted, all I have to do is drag the image to the applications folder, correct? (if so...I love this OS already)

Thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, once you've put the app in the Applications folder you can eject and delete the disk image

3. dlewisdm thread starter macrumors member

Awesome. Too easy. Thank you!

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

that is one of the ways and the most comman way to isntall apps in OS X. to see the other ways check out the Mac Rumors Guide for installing apps here.

5. tabakor0ad macrumors newbie

disk image problems persist

I have a firefox disk image on my laptop and when I try to delete it, i get a message saying it can't be deleted because it is in use. It is not locked and I have permission (or so it seems) to both read and write. How do I get the thing off?

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Looks like you're running Firefox from within the disk image. Make sure you have Firefox installed in your Applications folder (ie, you've dragged it from the mounted image in Finder to the Applications folder). Then close the running instance, delete the disk image, and restart Firefox from Applications.

7. kvetes macrumors newbie

i know this is a very old thread, so i don't know if i'll get a response...however, i'm having this problem after i downloaded skype. however it won't let me uninstall it or anything. i'm somewhat new to the operating system so if someone can direct me that would be perfect :)

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It's been a while since I used skype but I seem to remember simply dragging it to applications. In finder, you see the files in your current folder the right pane of the window and other places in the left pane. You simply double click the skype disk image (dmg) if it's not already open and you'll probably see skype.app. You can then click and drag skype.app from the right side and let it go over the applications folder on the left side of your finder window. Done.

It is possible skype comes with an installer. In this case you won't see skype.app but instead will see something.pkg. Double click it and it will install skype. Done.

There is a third and even simpler possibility. A lot of mac apps come with the app (ie skype.app) and a shortcut to your applications folder right in the disk image. In that case you simply click skype.app, drag it to the right and let it go over the shortcut to applications. Done.

(BTW, a few posts above yours was a link to Macrumor's excellent guide to installing apps.)

9. alikaan macrumors newbie

never be able to delete skype

Whatever I did, I wasn't able to delete the skype disk image on my desktop. I decided to live with it. Each time I turn my MBP on, I have to see the warning and cancel it. Like an iceberg it seems very simple above the water...