Is it possible to remove the connection to the TB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, May 28, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello, I am not interested in the TB and it consumes power. Has anybody succeed in removing the connection between the TB and the motherboard? Can we go to the Apple Store and ask Genius to please remove the connection?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I very much doubt if not guarantee Apple would remove it under any circumstances. You probably have to do it yourself with the expectation you will void the warranty. Just my thoughts on it and could very well be wrong.

3. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's a very good idea. I understand one might prefer physical keys to the TB but no function keys and no TB is probably going to cause quite a few problems.

For one you'll have to go in the settings every time you want to change the brightness, sound, keyboard brightness etc. Also, the escape key can be useful/necessary for some applications.

Then there's the whole voiding your warranty and risking to break an expensive computer issue. I doubt they'll do it at the Apple Store.

If battery is the main concern maybe try to dim your screen a little first?

If you still want to unplug the TB you can take a look at this: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73480

Step 15 is what you want to do.

4. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

What you want, is this mate

5. maerz001, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018

maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

how do you wanna use it without the ESC and Power button??? Just buy a nTB model or use duct tape

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

That app leaves part of the touch bar active (Touch ID), so it's likely that the OP would still have power draw from the TB, even with that software in use (assuming that is the real issue for the OP, and the TB is the culprit, which may not be the case). I assume that it would leave the ESC and power available, too, just not visible.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68040

The power draw is so minimal who cares

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

These are very good points. Thanks for the warning.