Is it possible to replace a hard drive like this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mjmar, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have a white MacBook, so it's not too hard to replace the hard drive. I want to know if i can back up my computer in its current state using time machine, replace the internal drive, reload the OS with the disc that came with my MacBook, and finally restore my computer to it's EXACT state using the time machine backup. I'm stressing exact because I've had bad luck in the past loosing little things... (iPhone restore) Also, if I do this will it void my warranty?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will work, and your warranty will be fine.

4. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Can anybody give a recommendation for an actual drive? I'm not too sure what a good one would be.

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Is it possible

RE:
    "I have a white MacBook, so it's not too hard to replace the hard drive. I want to know if i can back up my computer in its current state using time machine, replace the internal drive, reload the OS with the disc that came with my MacBook, and finally restore my computer to it's EXACT state using the time machine backup"

Why go through all that trouble?

Why not do this instead:
    1. Get ahold of SuperDuper (even an unregistered version will work for this)
    2. Use SuperDuper to clone the contents of your internal to the external
    3. Boot from the external (which now has an exact copy of what is on the internal)
    4. Tell SuperDuper to erase the internal and copy the contents of the external _back_ to the internal.

You will now have _2_ bootable copies of your System files and data. No messing with Time Machine (which you CANNOT boot from).

- John

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Instead of reinstalling OS X and THEN restoring from the Time Machine backup, when you boot from the OS X disc there is an option under Utilities called Restore System from Backup. If that's what you meant, sorry.