Is it possible to resize a OSX partition without harming Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by techmonkey, Nov 7, 2013.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I have issues with my current 128GB SSD drive. I have a new SSD drive but its only 120GB. I want to clone the entire drive (Clonezilla) but I cannot do this since my original SSD was 128GB. My OSX partition is 60GB and my Bootcamp partition takes up the rest. I know you cannot resize the Bootcamp partition but could I resize the OSX partition down to 50GB without affecting Bootcamp from booting up? Resizing the OSX partition, I should be able to clone my old drive to the new drive.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

No!

If you are moving to an SSD you need to move the largest files on your Mac and iPhoto and iTunes! Moving large photo libraries and iTunes music to externals can save GREAT space on a SSD.

Plus if you are really tied to using windows applications then read the OS X Hint Install Windows 7 on external drive using Boot Camp. This hint still holds true. Plus just launching BootCamp on a Mac again and tell it to delete/delete space the current partition on you main drive.

5. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use Win7 60% of the time, so having on an external drive is not an option. I need to resize the partition, since the cloning software sees a 60GB partition as 60GB, even if only 20GB is being used. What do you mean by "Plus just launching BootCamp on a Mac again and tell it to delete/delete space the current partition on you main drive." ?

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You are being stubborn. I am done with you!

7. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

???

Sorry if you take my response as stubborn. I did not mean to come off like that...
    I really am confused by your comment about delete/delete.