Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Long story short. Here's the question.

I have two MacBooks: one with Lion, one with Snow Leopard. I have a time machine backup of my Lion MacBook. Can I use this time machine backup to do a complete restore on my Snow Leopard machine bringing it to Lion with all of my settings and applications?

Damers

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Long story short. Here's the question.

I have two MacBooks: one with Lion, one with Snow Leopard. I have a time machine backup of my Lion MacBook. Can I use this time machine backup to do a complete restore on my Snow Leopard machine bringing it to Lion with all of my settings and applications?

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to use migration assistant after you install lion, to bring all of your lion apps and settings to your SL machine. IIRC restore is machine dependent.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
SL and Lion

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to use migration assistant after you install lion, to bring all of your lion apps and settings to your SL machine. IIRC restore is machine dependent.

Are two different animals (no pun intended) if you want to run SL on the one and Lion on the other I'm not sure Migration assistant will help.

I'm sure others here will know more, but as I understand it both need to be running Lion?

Sc00tr

macrumors regular
May 28, 2011
Are two different animals (no pun intended) if you want to run SL on the one and Lion on the other I'm not sure Migration assistant will help.

I'm sure others here will know more, but as I understand it both need to be running Lion?

he wants to bring SL up to Lion with all content.

I would think that this would work if they were the identical Macs.
You could also probably put it in disk mode and clone it.
I have never done this, but i don't see why it would not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.