Is it possible to return a 2009 MBP 17" that is BTO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleWorking, Feb 23, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

Does the 14 day return policy apply to a custom configured 2009 MBP? This is the new 2009 MBP 17" that I just received today, purchased from the Apple Store online. Unfortunately, it has a small cluster of dead pixels (I think 2 or 3), and it has some dust under the screen (1 or 2). And truthfully I have a hard time accepting this considering what I paid. How would I go about getting a refund? Is it even possible on a BTO. It has a 2.93 and 7200.

If they refuse to offer me a refund, is there a way I can get a replacement? How do I go about this?

I'm really sorry for this, I know how much all of you love your new MBP and I wish I could say the same. I am a long time Apple user, but I just can't see myself spending this much on something that is less than perfect. A little imperfection is expected, but I really cannot stand dead pixels at all. I can live with the dust, but the defective pixels I cannot. Sorry if I am offending anyone, but I don't know where else to turn and everyone here is always so helpful.

2. zorahk macrumors 6502

3. isethx macrumors regular

can't hurt to call- the worst they can say is no.

4. Moriarty macrumors 6502

If it's flawed/faulty on arrival like that I would say yes Apple should give you an exchange.

However if it was just a "change of mind" and the product didn't have any faults, then BTO products usually can't be returned.

5. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

The other thing though, If you have paid by some credit card which give you a customer protection or something called "charge back" you can actually give them a call and told them that you have not received the goods and services you expected from what you have paid. They will then perform a charge back from Apple to you.

I did this once with my Sony Bravia XBR.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not quite DOA (Dead On Arrival) v. operational w/flaws. I would take it back and demand a full refund, then settle for an upgrade to replace your defective Unibody MBP 17" go ahead and PM me if you have any further questions.

7. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

This might be off-topic, but has any of you guys delt with replacing a machine bought through the ADC store?

I am considering the ADC option but I am not sure what if I end up with a machine like the OP's? Would they exchange it for me or would they simply say that you paid less than retail so you sould accept it?

I have always considered the ADC, but I just saved it for my final thesis year so I might be able to produce something rather than just use the discount :)

I might just go with the base 17" model to be safe, but yet would it be easy to exchange it being bought from the ADC store?

8. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Something odd about this post. How about a photo of your MBP?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can't return BTO computers. You can only have them repaired if they are broken.

Also they will only replace if it is DOA; dead pixels is not DOA.

Picture 1 copy.png

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ alphaod is right, DOA on BTO is the only way to get it replaced. They'll probably replace the screen. I've never really understood why someone would buy BTO MBPs or BTO computers for that matter. Have you called AppleCare yet?:(

alphaod, I was looking for that document, thanks for posting that...