Is it possible to return iPod Touch for new one?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by senorchang, Jul 31, 2010.

1. senorchang macrumors newbie

I bought my iPod Touch about 2 weeks ago and I've accidentally upgraded it to the latest OS. However, I wanted to jailbreak it and was wondering if it was possible to return it for a new one so I can jailbreak it properly. Only thing is I submitted a rebate for it (bought a MBP with the student deal) and was wondering if it's possible to exchange for a new one and still receive rebate. Thanks in advance!

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Did you upgrade to iOS 4?

Ya know you can just downgrade instead.

3. senorchang thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the thing, I tried downgrading but it won't work, turns out I needed to send my SHS files to Cydia's server or something but I didn't.

4. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Yeah, if you try and downgrade to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 you're going to get that issue.

I had iOS 4 for a time, hated it, and subsequently downgraded to 3.0. And I'm as happy as a pig in s*it. :)

I can tell you how to do it if you need instructions.

5. senorchang thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, however I tried to downgrade with 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 and it wouldn't work :( I'm not exactly sure if it has to do with the SHSH files (It said that it was not eligible or whatever) and if downgrading won't work I was wondering if returning was an option (was hoping to tell them that the latest OS makes my iPod Touch crash and would hopefully get an exchange)

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Yeah, you're not downgrading to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 unless you do that weird SHSH thing. Maybe tell them at the Apple Store that iOS 4 is making your Touch crash like you said, but that might not work unless you can actually get it to crash in front of them...

Either way, holla back, and I'll walk you through to downgrading to 3.0 if necessary.

7. senorchang thread starter macrumors newbie

:( Well this blows for me, though any idea why returning it won't work if I just tell them that it's been crashing? I mean I often exchange electronics and they never really inspected it (though this was Best Buy, Radioshack and such) and would Apple be any different?

8. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Honestly, I can't say. I've had no problems in the past returning products to other companies, but I've never had to return anything to Apple so...

Run a search on the forums here about returning stuff to Apple. What I know for sure is that they have a 10% percent restocking fee:

For eligible Mac, iPad, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return. Personalized iPods (e.g., engraved or customized in any way) may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products). If the item is returnable and you send it back to us unopened in the original box, Apple will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. You must return the product to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation, and registration that shipped with the product. Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, Apple may ask you to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) so Apple can assess the 10% restocking fee.

Source: http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1618/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

9. SoraLimit macrumors regular

It really depends on who you talk to, since some of people that work behind the Genius bar may be nice enough to exchange it, or be dicks and assume that your iPod is fine.

10. senorchang thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, so does this mean I have 14 days to exchange it for a new iPod Touch? I thought it meant I had 30 days?

11. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Unfortunately, it's 14 days. I believe you're confusing it with the 30-day iPhone 4 one. :(

12. senorchang thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you serious? Christ the 14 days just ended 2 days ago... I was more than willing to pay the restocking fee if it meant I could exchange it for a new one, not even returning it too but exchanging :(

13. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Well, It wouldn't work to at least go in and make some sort of appeal. If you get a compassionate Genius, you may just get lucky...

14. neal.young macrumors member

Come up with anything that could theoretically be a problem with it. For iPod and iPhone repairs, the Geniuses do not actually repair anything. They will just give you a refurbished model, where the outer case and battery are new, and the main circuit board has been previously used. The store employees will be willing to swap out your iPod for almost any problem with it, so just make up something or break it somehow. The current refurb models will probably have iOS 3.x on them, but the longer you wait, the more likely you are to get a refurb with iOS 4 on it.

15. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

He doesn't want/like iOS 4. Read the first post again. But like you said, if he gets a new iPod Touch, it will still most likely have 3.x on it.