Is it possible to run 2 Mac OSX's at the same time, "virtually"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, Jan 24, 2010.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I have an external with OSX installed, and plan on making it my primary, but need to move files over and re-install apps. So can I run the external os on my current os through software like VMware? I want to be able to re-install apps, while being able to use my current machine.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could boot from the external HDD and use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone your external HDD to the internal HDD, but it will overwrite any existing file or path that correspond to each other.

Example:

External HDD (exHDD) has folder called Blimey in folder called Bollocks which is in folder Bugger which resides on the root directory of the exHDD.
    exHDD / Bugger / Bollocks / Blimey.

If that folder Blimey exists on the same path on the internal HDD (inHDD) it will be overwritten.

The same goes for files.

exHDD / Bugger / Bollocks / Blimey / bastards.rtf will overwrite the file with the same name on inHDD / Bugger / Bollocks / Blimey , but not in inHDD / Bugger / Blimey / Bollocks.

Why do you need your Mac running anyway during that process?

Also you can drag and drop most applications via Finder, no need for installation routines (which you could also run without the need of a virtual machine).

It seems you want to achieve something simple by doing it more complicated than it has to be.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Well I want to manually move files and not use software like CC or Migration Assistant. The whole purpose of this would be to re-install my software which will take a while (i.e. CS4), and while I wait, still be able to use my existing machine.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But you don't need to run the exHDD OS via a virtual machine (which is not possible legally and maybe even not technically) to re-install your applications.

Some can be dragged, some have to be installed, CS4 for example.

You can't achieve that using Mac OS X as a VM though (if running Mac OS X as a VM would be possible).

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I heard that it would be a "cleaner" install if you reinstall everything especially if it's 3rd party software. Is this true?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Clean? Yes. But not every application needs to be installed with the help of an installer, it just needs to be dragged into the Applications folder (originally from the CD/DVD or DMG it came from), nothing more to it.
    Some of those applications though leave settings behind in Library / Application Support / "folder with the name of the developing company or application title" or Users / Your / Library / Application Support / "folder with the name of the developing company or application title".

Software that has an installer needs to be installed again though, especially CS4, as they have files written into lots of places.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes. Especially if you will not be re-installing all programs.

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

It may be technically possible, but as you have said - none of the Virtual companies allow for that (OSX server excluded) due to Licensing. But as you said, its not really needed.

9. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

So should I move those folders over to my new drive? Or atleast the apps I wanna keep. Where are like the emails and adress book contacts stored?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want to save the settings, you can move them over.

The locations of eMails and address book contacts can be found via Google.

eMails are located in Users / You / Library / Mail and you also have to copy a preference file from Users / You / Library / Preferences / com.apple.mail.plist or something like that.

Why don't you just use the Migration Assistant and let the process take place at night or when you off to work or study?

It's less hassle that way.