Is it possible to run OS X Applications on Konqueror KDE Operating System?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macsrules, Apr 17, 2008.

1. macsrules macrumors regular

I was just curious. Is it possible to run OS X Applications on the Linux Konqueror KDE since at the core Apple and Linux are distant cousins? Notice I said distant, before you bash me for that statement.

1. http://www.kde.org/

Your facts or opinions?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Short answer No.

Long answer, if they are Unix (X11.app) rather than native Mac apps, probably. Otherwise only if the developer has written them as cross-platform applications to run on Linux.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

1) it is POSSIBLE
    2) it would require a frankly unthinkable amount of work to do
    3) it wouldn't work as well as running it in OS X.

You'd have to (heavily) modify the kernel, and also get all the libraries etc... across from OS X.

Heck you'd basically end up with OS X in the end...

4. Tom Yt macrumors newbie

Um, I'm not sure I understand correctly. KDE is just another Linux application (I'm not sure, but I suppose something similar to cocoa). And Konqueror is the old file/web browser for KDE. This has nothing to do with the ability to execute a Mac application under Linux. And on that note, KDE also runs on many BSD systems as well.

Now the question of running a mac app in linux; as many have said, simple answer: no. You have to modify most applications so they would compile under Linux. This is a harder feat when going from mac to linux b/c most of the mac software aren't open source. So even if people want to, they can't. Going the other way however, there are things like Fink. Fink is by no means perfect, but it's better than nothing.

-edit-
    You can always do what the crossover people are doing, implement one OS's api into another. IE, windows API into Linux and now, Mac. You'd just have to implement the Mac OS API into linux. I don't know if kernel modification is necessary though...

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I think the OP is getting confused—OS X has a BSD base, and KDE is a Linux-based front-end for the X11 windowing system. I believe he's mistaking that with KHTML and WebKit, of which the latter is a forked descendant. However, that's just an HTML rendering engine. The rest of Linux vs. OS X and X11 vs. Cocoa/Quartz is entirely different. Related in some ways, utilize some of the same underlying concepts and tools, but not nearly as close as the OP imagines. Even KHTML and WebKit are pretty different these days.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Oh wow, cool beans, that one slipped past my radar. :cool: Thanks.

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

... KDE isn't an OS. KDE is not a distribution of Linux. Konqueror is neither of them too.

What KDE is, is a desktop environment. It's basically the GUI (Graphical User Interface). The default package of KDE also includes applications, and one of them is Konquerer (I don't think it's included by default with KDE 4.0), which it can be used as a file browser and internet browser.

Now that we cleared that up. Linux and Mac OS X aren't distant cousins. BSD and Mac OS X would be more or less considered distant cousins. Any other Unix OS would be a distant cousing (Linux is NOT Unix). Linux is a completely different OS. Unix and Linux use two different kernels. The only similarity is the principles behind the design, which is why from the outside, the two may be look very similar (similar file structure, similar commands for the terminal), but underneath the hood, they are not the same, and great lengths have been taken to ensure that there is a degree of cross compatibility between Unix and Linux.

With all that same. It would be possible for a company to port their program from Mac OS X to Unix, but it's nothing you or I can do, since we don't have the source code and many of those programs rely on proprietary APIs owned by Apple and is only available in their OS.

9. NEiMac macrumors regular

It is possible to install KDE on Mac os X through fink or something if I recall correctly, no clue why you would want to though. :rolleyes: