Is it possible to run software from backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blackjack07, May 15, 2009.

1. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I am sure I will be around quite often in the future, to gain some more wisdom about Apple and Mac notebooks-etc.

But now to my question:

I have a MacBookPro, and I have Adobe CS3 and Final Cut Studio installed on it. I got the software from my school because I helped them out with several video projects and designs.

I am about to move again to my home in Belgium (I was an exchange student in Hawaii for one year) and I will not have the CD's if any errors occur.
    I have several backups I made with Time Machine, and I was wondering if an error occurs, I could drag the applications, such as photo shop and final cut pro to my laptop without having to go through the whole installation again.

If anything is unclear, please state, and then I can verify that extra intel.

Sincerely,

Blackjack ^^

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

With a lot of Mac applications yes, but Final Cut Studio and Adobe Creative Suite are insidious and install everywhere. You won't be able to easily recover the files from a Time Machine backup. I suggest backing up with Carbon Copy Cloner, as well as Time Machine if you like. If you have any hardware issues, you will be able to recover and run from a fully bootable backup which includes working copies of all of your applications.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

No, you can't 'open' the application on the sparce bundle disk image. You would have to restore the app and associate files.

4. Blackjack07 thread starter macrumors member

Blackjack07

Thank you gentlemen, I will give that a try !
    Carry on :)