Is it possible to run two instances of iTunes simultaneously on the same system?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RamGuy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I'll try to make this long story short.. I've got a Windows Server 2012 R2 (Windows 8.1 Server) hosting a 12TB array whereas we have a 34GB large audio-book library, some music (not so relevant any more as we are more or less relaying on Spotify these days), movies and TV-shows and the best way to get things going in terms of our Apple TV in the living room, and to get things streamed to our Apple devices at home is by running the latest version of iTunes directly on the server 24 / 7.

This way we have home sharing with our entire library accessible at all times at home, the performance is stellar as the entire media library is located locally on the same system as iTunes is running of and with a RAID1+0 setup and a network configuration with 2x 1Gbit in Dynamic Link Aggregation (LACP) to a Cisco Layer-3 Gigabit switch loading times and everything is blazing fast.

The thing we hate though is how iTunes is handling synchronization between our devices, as we are connecting both my iPhone and iPad, and my girlfriends iPhone and iPad to the same iTunes account we are faced with problems such as whenever my girlfriend adds new podcasts on her phone it gets synchronized to my phone over iTunes WiFi Sync and the other way around. We could disabled the podcast sync altogether but we'd like to keep it enabled as we often listen to podcasts using home sharing on our Mac and other systems so it's better having it enabled in order to keep everything synchronised between all devices and not only iOS devices.

The perfect way to solve this issue would be to have two separate instances of iTunes running simultaneously so that we could have one that's configured with my Apple ID and synchronised towards my iOS devices and use my Apple ID for Home Sharing to my systems and another that's configured with my girlfriends Apple ID and synchronised towards her iOS devices and use her Apple ID for Home Sharing to her systems in order to keep things organized and separated.

Is there some way to get two instances of iTunes to run simultaneously on the same system?

2. RamGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I figured as much that such a thing is not possible so I'm just running a Windows 8.1 in Hyper-V on my server with it's own iTunes running. Seems to be working good enough.