Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahrukhraza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
hello people

i was wondering if i would be able to run a program that is designed for windows on my macbook pro. i want to keep osx so meaning i dont want windows 8 or 7 or something like that; i just want to run this program. oh and its on a cd so is it really possible without having to install windows itself?

thank you for your assistance.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
You could try WINE, but by definition, Windows executables do not run on Mac. If Wine doesn't work you could look into using a Virtual Machine. Many of them have a "Seamless Mode", so it appears to run the apps on your Mac desktop instead of inside a dedicated window.

shahrukhraza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
thanks guys.

okay so this program that i wanna run is photoshop cs3. and if i were to get one of these virtual machines i would be able to run photoshop right? im asking this because its on a cd so i just want to make sure.

and crossover had cs2 AND 4 but not 3 -.-

shahrukhraza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
just in case if you don't know > photoshop Has a mac version..

i do but i usually used to use windows and when i did i didnt need ps. then i got a mac a few months ago and i have found a new hobby! that NEEDS PS.but i dont have it for mac... :(:eek:

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
i do but i usually used to use windows and when i did i didnt need ps. then i got a mac a few months ago and i have found a new hobby! that NEEDS PS.but i dont have it for mac... :(:eek:
Out of curiosity what did you use on Windows? If you just need something like Photoshop check out Gimp. Link below.
photoshop has poor reviews. What the best app for this?

How about Gimp? Great open source editor that does like 90% of what Photoshop is used for.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you are looking for a great Photoshop alternative you might want to look at Pixelmator. Its a great application (and very affordable) which has much of the Photoshop's functionality... you can download the demo version and see if it works for you.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
PlayOnMac allows you too to install Windows applications and video games! I have Call of Duty 2 running on it and it runs faster than on Bootcamp with the same high settings!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
You have three options:

Buy windows and load it on your mac using bootcamp or similar program
Buy windows and run in on a VM box
Buy PS for Mac.

One of these seems a lot easier and makes more sense than the others, but I'll let you figure it out.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
oh and its on a cd so is it really possible without having to install windows itself?
There are options that involve running Windows and those that don't though the latter may not support Photoshop specifically -- you'd have to verify. Running a native copy of PS (i.e. for Mac) is more efficient than relying on emulation. It will definitely be less hassle. There's always additional overhead with solutions that rely on emulation. I'd also recommend getting PS for the Mac unless you have other needs for running Windows apps.

shahrukhraza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
thank you for your help guys!:D:D

so i decided to try out gimp. i got everything i needed and it was pretty awesome.

but now theres a new problem. i dont know how to get the batch processing script for mac. so if somebody knows where i could download it or has some solution please tell me.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
thank you for your help guys!:D:D

so i decided to try out gimp. i got everything i needed and it was pretty awesome.

but now theres a new problem. i dont know how to get the batch processing script for mac. so if somebody knows where i could download it or has some solution please tell me.

Depending on exactly what you need to do you can try Automator, it's fairly flexible and pretty straightforward.

___

shahrukhraza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
okay i guess i'll just give you guys a brief summary of why i need some kind of photo editing app and all that good stuff.

i want to make icons. for android.

so basically i just want to make a theme and for that i need to have similar icons. meaning that i want to be able to just save one kind of style and then apply that to like 550 icons. i really cant do it one by one because... there are 550 icons. so if gimp does not have batch processing its practically useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.