is it possible to share icc profile? help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by colacat, May 20, 2008.

1. colacat macrumors newbie

I have post my problem in other forum, but i am willing to see if anybody can really give me some advise.

I just got my first mac, an iMac 24' 2 weeks ago, having playing with them a bit, I love it.

today I spent quit a lot of time to process 20 images on my 24' glossy iMac. I shoot Raw, processed my raw files using Aperture, I then transfer them to Photoshop to do further editing, finallly embeded s-RGB save as Jpeg for posting online.

they looked fantastic on my iMac, the color and sharpness are just wonderful. however , when I looked at them on my 17' 6 year old LCD, I was shocked by how terrible the color and sharpness they showed on that monitor.

is this due to my un-callibrated iMac? before I purchased iMac, I always use my 17' to process images. it's not a very good monitor, but it produced at least similar color and sharpness of images when I looked at them in different LCD, this is what I am expecting my iMac to do the same or even better. Do I really need to invest in callibration tool? Is it possible ti share the same profile with somebody who also use the 24' callibrated iMac?

btw, I don't do printing, all of my images are for web only. I have my iMac set to garmmar 2.2, any help will be appriciated.

thanks in advanced!! :p

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Glossy = better looking images

There is no garmmar, there is gamma.

If you do any color specific work, you need a color calibrator, otherwise the image will look different on each uncalibrated display.

3. Help! macrumors regular

If you are going to spend a lot of time processing photos in aperture and PS and want to look at your photos on any other screen/print them then YES you do need to calibrate your monitor.

4. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

Duh

6 year old LCDs ARE crappy compared to any new LCD. Go get a color calibrator. There's a cheap one made by pantone called pantone huey that does an ok job for about $50 or you could go whole hog and get a eye one pro.

5. colacat thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everybody!!

Last night I had my iMac icc profile set to Adobe1998, i tried to process the same images, and view on my old LCD, the images are much better than before. just slightly less sharp, i think this is the matter with glassy or non-glassy.

does anybody have better profiles that you are happy with? could you please email to me at floramengna@hotmail.com? I just wanna try it out before investing in any callibration hardware. lots of thanks!! :D