Is it possible to slipstream 10.5.2 to a 10.5 dvd?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alienx, Feb 15, 2008.

1. alienx macrumors newbie

Hi, Mac noob question here..

Is it possible to slipstream 10.5.2 update and the latest graphics update into the original 10.5 DVD? (sorry if this is a s&^%&d question, I've done it many times on windows discs... I was just wondering if its possible with OS X....

Thanks...

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Why? All the effort for little gain...

Update takes minutes to install.

There will always be a new update you need to install.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

There's not really the need to do it with OS X - with Windows, it's sometime necessary to support particular hardware, or even just to avoid downloading several hundred updates each time. With OS X, you'll rarely have more than one or two updates to install, so whilst it is, in theory, possible to slipstream a DVD, it's really not worth the effort. If you want to roll out a standard config over a number of machines it makes far more sense just to clone...

4. alienx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it very much.

Have a nice weekend..;)

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Slipstream 10.5 no but you can make an image of 10.5.2 that'll work on newer hardware.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

Are there instructions on how to make that 10.5.2 image?

7. cgc macrumors 6502a

I need to slipstream 10.5.2 or higher because my MacPro crashes (kernel panic) when I install from my 10.5 DVD due to no driver support for nVidia 8800GT. Only way around this is to replace 8800GT with 7300GT or slipstream.

8. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I think the best option would be to get an external hard drive of suitable capacity and then use something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable clone. Then if you ever need to go back to that 'known' good / working system, you will have a total back-up that you could simply clone back to your main internal disk. This would also negate the need to re-install any third party apps too.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. cgc macrumors 6502a

I have an external drive with a clone on it. Problem is, I didn't forsee this problem so the clone contains the same problems as the internal drive.

I did call Apple who are sending me a (free) copy of 10.5.4 on DVD. :)

11. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

I ordered the 8800 without realizing that it would definitely need 10.5.2 or higher.

I have a 10.5.0 disk..called apple and they basically said SOL.

Is there a way I send them my current disk for the updated disk?
    seems very strange.

:confused:

12. cgc macrumors 6502a

I called AppleCare (800-275-2273) and they hooked me right up. I'd imagine, like all other companies that distribute media, Apple has a program to replace "defective" (e.g. scratched) media for a nominal cast or < $20. I was going to look for that until Apple offered to send me a free DVD. Why must you reinstall Leopard?

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I called Applecare too. They said they couldn't replace the media. Maybe I'll try again.

14. cgc macrumors 6502a

Just received my free 10.5.4 DVD. I'd keep calling Applecare. One thing they checked with me was machine serial number. I registered it and my Leopard install w/ Apple. Maybe it has something to do with that (?).