Is it possible to somehow hide files within finder on more then one machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by klogg, Aug 24, 2016.

1. klogg macrumors member

Hi dears, I was wondering if there is a way to hide files on Mac? I know I can hide files on one machine, what I am asking is, is there a way to somehow hide files, so lets say, I send a bunch of files to somebody else, some of those stays hidden from him/her? I wanna have files hidden on Windows and Mac as well, is that possible? Files we are talking about are some basic .wav files, if that is important at all?

Thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. klogg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man, but I don't see in permissions a hide option. All I can see there is write/read. I'm sorry, maybe I'm dumb, but I don't follow you. Please help

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Why would you want to send hidden files to someone so the recipient can't see them? I am not sure we should be helping you to deceive another user.

5. klogg thread starter macrumors member

Well, I wanna surprise my friend, by sending him some audio files, and playing them back later. Please dont make me humiliate myself more then this :)

Please somebody help

6. JohnDS macrumors 65816

7. 960design macrumors 68020

Or just open up terminal ( command + space: terminal ) and type:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

8. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

The easiest way to hide files on both Windows and Mac is by using a Windows Computer if you have one spare. On Windows using supported file systems, files can have a hidden flag that is set using a check box under the file's properties. A Mac will acknowledge this flag and hide the file as well. If you have a spare Windows computer and the files are on a Windows compatible flash drive (FAT32 etc.) you can right click on a file and open it's 'Properties', on the 'General' tab there is a check box marked 'Hidden' that you can check.

This same functionality can be achieved on a Mac as well but using the Terminal instead. To do so navigate to a file that is on a FAT32 formatted drive (MS-FAT in Disk utility) using the cd command (for example a drive that is called PENDRIVE would require the command cd "/Volumes/PENDRIVE" with or without the quotes, using quotes is recommended for path names with spaces in them) then use the command chflags hidden followed by the file name in quotes (e.g. chflags hidden "./MP3 with spaces.mp3") Look here for more details: http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/19/hide-file-mac-os-x-chflags/

9. klogg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much man! God bless you!

10. MC6800 macrumors 6502

An easy way to hide Mac (and Linux) files is to stick a dot at the beginning of the name. You'll need to use Terminal to do this on the Mac ("mv Blat .Blat").

But I don't see how this nor any other method above will hide the files from the attachments/downloads list when they're sent. Which is a good thing of course, since otherwise it would be trivial to attach malware .