Is it possible to split one display so that it's treated as multiple screens?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CAWjr, May 31, 2014.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I found plenty of advice on how OSX handles dual monitors better, but I was hoping to find a solution to treat a single monitor like dual (or quad) monitors. My thinking is that instead of getting two monitors to have dual workspaces, I would like to just get a single large monitor and split it into 2 or 4 workspaces. Basically doing what can be accomplished with 2-4 seperate monitors, but with a single monitor. I know all about multiple desktops, but I want them all visible at the same time much like what you see in a NOC or security app with multiple camera views on a single screen.

Is this possible with Mavericks? Is there a hack or software that can accomplish this?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can position windows on a single display in any arrangement you want - what exactly are you trying to accomplish that isn't possible by just arranging 2 or 4 windows on your display?

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

The screen you see on a security camera monitor has a multiview built in. Taking multiple sources, security cameras in this case, and using one monitor to see all cameras in seperate windows.

The graphics card in computers are not a multiview. You can output to different monitors but not different desktops to the same monitor. So, in conclusion (and I could be wrong) I don't think you can do what you want with one computer and one monitor.. Sorry.

4. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Taking advantage of some of the Mavericks features like individual menu bar and docks for each area. Also being able to just drag a window to an area & be able to maximize it to the size of that area is convenient.

I get that you can cobble this together by resizing windows & positioning them, but I was hoping there was a more integrated & less manual solution.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Wouldn't you know as I was researching displays, I found that the LG 34UM95 actually has this feature! They call it "Screen Splitter".

Attached Files:

6. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

That sucks. With the proliferation of larger 4K monitors, it would be nice to be able to just buy a single 30"+ monitor & segment it like it was multiple monitors instead of having to buy multiple monitors to get the same effect...plus you are limited to the capabilities of the graphics card as to how many monitors you can actually add.

----------

Awwwww yeah! Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Would be interested to see actual user reviews about the split screen functionality. To me I would be very cautious about using this function with regards to video playback and editing or any other GPU intensive operations. Especially with using a laptop.