Is it possible to stop OS X from requesting my password all the time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sirious, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Hi,
    I am currently running the most up to date version of Mountain Lion and everytime I change some setting on my Mac, I get prompted to enter my password. This specifically troubles me when I'm uninstalling software.

Is it possible to stop or reduce the number of these requests?
    It's not a big deal, but I would like to be able to do things more seamlessly.

Attached Files:

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Are you by any chance using a standard user account? Because the only time on my Mac that I get those prompts when installing/uninstalling apps is when I'm using one. Try switching to a administrator account.

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

4. Sirious thread starter macrumors 65816

Sirious

I'm the only user on the Mac and its an Admin.

5. comics addict macrumors 6502a

that is a odd thing indeed. I'm afraid I'll to let a more experienced user from the forum take it from here since I'm not sure what it is that is going on. :(

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As far as I know (as a 7 year OS X user), it is the default nature of OS X. It's a security feature. Without it, Trojans or other malware could automatically install themselves on your computer. These "requests" ensure that you are authorizing everything that is installed on your computer, thus preventing malware from automatically installing and infecting your computer.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

If you are installing things and uninstalling things, then these are actions that demand authorisation, so that things can't install or uninstall without your express permission; and that you realise that installing and uninstalling are "serious" activities that require a moment's thought! :D

Some settings in System Preferences have padlock icon: this will stay unlocked on some settings if desired, but again for the "serious" settings that have consequences -- Security, Users, etc -- these always require unlocking as a precaution.

It's like the red covers that you get on flip switches that fire missiles. In films. It's there so you don't go mad and starting pressing things accidentally or casually.

8. Sirious thread starter macrumors 65816

Sirious

Thank you :)

9. Judith123 macrumors member

I also think it is not possible to change the way, because it is the default for security. Sometimes, I also think it is not handy with that window, but for the security, I think it will be good. :)