is it possible to swap superdrive for a sony drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaymul, Sep 30, 2011.

1. jaymul macrumors newbie

Hello,
    i have been using my macbook pro (early 2011) over the past few months and i have been loving it :D

one thing i miss is the ability to watch blue-ray discs on the go
    i was wondering whether it would be possible to change the superdrive in my macbook pro for a sony BC-5640H so that it could read blue-ray discs, any one know if this would work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BC-5640H-Loading-Blu-Ray-Combo/dp/B00432QV5O

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It won't fit.
    It is 12.7mm and it would have to be a 9.5mm blu ray drive. Afaik you cannot buy those you'd have to buy a Sony Notebook like the Z or SA and take out their drive.
    There is still a second problem which is drivers afaik there are no decent solutions for it. Some people tried blu ray in the old pre-unibody MBPs which can fit 12.7mm. Search google it doesn't work too well.

PS: Slim drives equals 12.7mm. The 9.5 are called ultra slim in marketing language.

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

You can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray on a laptop screen. Your eyes can only resolve so much detail, you'll need a much larger screen to enjoy the quality Blu-Ray has to offer.

4. paulisme macrumors 6502

Nonsense. If that were the case, we'd still all be using 640x480 displays but with smaller text.

5. AndreyATC macrumors newbie

Did you really just say that?
    You may want to check your eyes...
    :rolleyes:

I see good difference between HDs, 720 and 1080 on my 17'' screen
    Bluray would look amazing

P.S. Think iPhone, 4 is much better than 3G, even though screen is small

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You have to check you eyes. One can see the difference much more than you can on a TV with normal viewing distance. I sit like 2.5m away from my 37" TV but I cannot even sit far enough away of my notebook to not see the difference very very clearly. Problem with a notebook is you still have to reach the keyboard.
    Just check youtube. DVD is either 360p or 480p depending on aspect ratio. Compare that to switching on 720p or 1080p and tell me you cannot see a massive difference.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Are you joking? Try watching an HD movie/tv show in full screen than a non Hd, the difference is life and day! I have a macbook air so my screen is better than yours :p

8. Macman45, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Blu-Ray On A Laptop

As posted above, will not properly resolve....On a top quality HD Tv with a top quality Blu Ray Drive, yep, you notice.

On a laptop screen? Nope.

It's what I do for a living....Let battle commence:)

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The only laptop apple makes that can even do 1080p is the 17" pro. Otherwise, blu-ray is pretty much a bust. Sure, you might see a little difference in quality (Mac still can't play blu-ray anyhow), but you don't see the real difference until you get into considerably larger screens. If you were talking 27" iMac, I could probably buy it, but anything smaller than that, I couldn't be bothered.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

your probably right on the resolution thing but i know that MKV and H.264 movies files look better than
    dvd's so im sure a blue ray if the hardware worked would look somewhat better than dvd. Maybe not true blue ray resolution but still looks better

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

:rolleyes:

12. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

That's because the iPhone 4 has a "retina" display that has a much larger resolution then the iPhone 3GS. :rolleyes:

13. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I meant 1080p content ...

You guys are aware that Blu-Ray isn't the only format that supports 1080p content right?

You seriously want to tell me that on a 13" screen you can tell the difference between a Blu-Ray 1080p feed and a DVD 1080p feed?

Maybe I really should get my eyes checked, cause on a 19" monitor I can't.

----------

Thank You!

I know what I'm talking about, these people think DVD automatically means Standard Definition.