Is it possible to "Sync" my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Loa, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Just got a new MacBook Pro and I'm configuring it as my portable machine to replace an iPad. Using iCloud, I can access my Pages documents like I used to do with my iPad, but managing the pictures and music files is another matter.

I don't plan on upgrading my iCloud storage, so enabling photo or music share that way won't work (I'd need hundreds of gigs, which is not acceptable).

Is there a better way to transfer those tunes and photos other than manually copying them from one machine to another (and having to deal with reconstructing the playlists and albums)?

Is it possible to sync the MacBook Pro just like I sync my iPad?

Thanks

Loa

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I already tried using Home Sharing, but since we can't get two windows opened at the same time it's a real PITA. I have around 15 playlists that I'd like to copy (and automatically update), so I have to manually copy all the tunes from a playlist, come back to my MacBook's library, then create a new playlist, copy the new songs in them. Then repeat the process for all others???

Really bad. And since there is some tunes overlap in the playlists, I either have to manually check them song by song as to not have duplicates or have missing tunes???

Even worse.

Given that it's so easy with an iPad, it's a wonder Apple doesn't allow the same process for a MacBook... It would be so easy to have my MacBook listed in MacPro's iTunes.

But hey, it's been a while since Apple did "easy".

Thanks for the tip.

Loa

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Did you read the article I linked you to?

It allows you to download from one computer to the other and playlists stay intact. I used to use it. If the feature hasn't been changed or removed, it should still work.

Alternatively, if both computers are on the same version of iTunes, syncing your iTunes.itl file would do the same thing. It contains all playlist info.

5. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

I read it. That's a big "if", for an article written in 2012... It's not the same thing. For one, I can't copy a playlist, just tunes.

Also, my main iTunes library is nearly as big as the entire SSD on my MacBook. I don't want to copy everything, only about 30GB.

Maybe it's because Apple supposes (perhaps rightly) that few people have a laptop and a desktop system?

I think I'm going to have to wait until I get my external enclosure and copy the tunes from my MacPro to the external drive, a folder for each playlist, and copy those to the MacBook, one playlist at a time. Then deal with duplicates. Really really bad, but I don't see any alternative.

Here's a simple solution: let us open more than one window in iTunes. One for the regular library, one for the Home Shared one. Easy, simple. But I forgot: having two windows opened at once is not very iOS like! :)

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Again, simply copy the files you want/need. Your itunes.itl file contains playlist info. You don't need to import them one at a time.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201610

7. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

I'm not sure how this will work, using an incomplete music folder, but I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

There are also 3rd party software options. Search for "transfer from iPad to mac". When you do the search you will also find youtube videos demonstrating the software.

9. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Yes. I've used senuti in the past. It could work for the initial transfer, but it wouldn't help with maintaining the playlists like it's very easily done on iOS devices.

10. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The first question in the first post was a question about transferring playlists and albums.
    Did you search and research like I suggested?

I just picked one item on my google search for a program called iMazing.
    iMazing will do that without having to manually rebuild them. Here are a few excerpts from the iMazing web page:
    Manages playlists, play counts and more.

iMazing can transfer a complete iPhone / iPod / iPad library or any selection of songs, albums, artists or genres in just a few clicks. Thanks to the intuitive transfer wizard

Import Playlists back into iTunes
    Rebuilding playlists using iMazing is just too easy. As iMazing spots the tracks already existing in the target iTunes library, it will only export the missing songs to the playlist. And if iMazing sees the exact same playlist already exists, it will duplicate it, appending the mention ‘iMazing’ to the original name. Downloading Playlists back on your computer with iMazing is dead simple, and doesn’t require any iTunes sync.​

BTW: It will transfer all files (including photos, movies, contacts, messages, etc.) from your iPad to your Mac if you choose. Not just music.

As far as easy syncing like iTunes does to iOS devices, I'm not sure. But it will help maintain the playlists. Maybe not the way you want. Maybe not as easy as you would like.

That is just one example. Maybe there are more & better options. Maybe you have done the research and nothing suits you, but there are some options to help.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Try Apple Music or iTunes Match for music. You'll have to pay for whichever one you use, but it works pretty well to sync music libraries across devices, at least from Mac to Mac. iOS devices have been a bit weird. Apple Music/iTunes Match is separate from regular iCloud storage.

For your photos, use the built in Photos app. Photos does use iCloud storage, but for me it doesn't seem to take up an outrageous amount, and I have several years and GB of photos.