Is it possible to sync two iPhones with one iMac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dc2000, Sep 16, 2007.

1. dc2000 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone:

I'm not really a Mac guy, so bear with me. My friends asked me to help them with their iPhones and here's the issue. They have two iPhones and one laptop that runs OS X. I figured out how to iSync one iPhone but will it be possible to sync both iPhones on one laptop?

Thanks in advance.

2. jlanuez macrumors 6502

YES.

3. aerospace macrumors 6502a

wouldnt you need 2 versions of itunes or else both would have exactly the same files on them all the time x_X

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Isync can support multiple phones at once, i.e. right now it syncs for me with two different Nokia phones. Music-wise, if you set your iTunes to sync all music with the iPhone then yes, they would have exactly the same stuff. If they set it to put stuff on manually (far more useful on the non 'Classic' iPods) then they can pick and choose what they want to put on.

5. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I THINK if you had two "log in" users, you could do one with each user...

6. Goldenbear macrumors regular

1) As far as I know, iSync is not used to sync an iPhone. It works just fine with iTunes, however.
    2) Currently, iTunes does NOT allow manual syncing for the iPhone.

As far as the original question, I only have one iPhone, so I don't know if it would work the way you would want.

However, one guaranteed way to make it work, would be to create two separate user accounts (which they really should have done anyway, if they're sharing a computer). If they wanted access to the same music/video library, they would have to move the iTunes library to a folder accessible from all users, then go into the iTune settings and tell iTunes to use that location.

7. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I sync two iPhones with one iTunes library - it works fine. It remembers preferences for both iPhones.

8. Peter Kim macrumors member

It was a little tricky at first but yes, it is very possible. My wife and I have iPhones and sync to the home mac. Here's how we do it:

Contacts:
    Open up address book and make a group for each person. Put each of your contacts in the respective group and have iTunes sync with only that group. Then select your group in the box that says "When syncing contacts added from this phone add to..."

Calendar:
    Similar to contacts, you make a new calendar on the left panel in iCal with your name and sync that with your phone. Then you have events added on y our phone sync with that calendar.

Music:
    Make a playlist for each person and sync the respective playlist to your phones.

Video:
    Just check off the movies you want when each phone is connected. Alternately you can make a video playlist for each person and sync that up.

Safari:
    Unfortunately I think you can only either sync all bookmarks or none at all. Not much you can do about that.

Hope this helps!

9. dc2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all! You were very helpful. I'll try it...

10. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

How about one iPhone for two computers?

My desktop is a PC. My laptop is a mac and they both have different tunes.

11. Kchino macrumors member

You'll need swaptunes from installer.app.