Is it Possible to Take an iMac G5 off its Stand?

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
I would like to remove my iMac G5 from its foot and be able to hold it as just a screen. Is it possible to take the screen from the stand without damaging the computer (and making it able to put it back on)? Thanks in advance
:)

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Yeah...it's kind of heavy, but I like to be able to move it around and use it from the couch but having the resolution really low makes it pain so I want to be able to hold it in my lap.

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
ClarkeB said:
Yeah...it's kind of heavy, but I like to be able to move it around and use it from the couch but having the resolution really low makes it pain so I want to be able to hold it in my lap.
I don't know what to say :eek: wow.

Comment

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
While it wasn't meant necessarily for the purpose you propose, yes, you can take it off the stand. See the website for the mention of mounting on a VESA stand. However, I can't say how easy it is to go back and forth.

Comment

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
err...well, mind the optical drive and hard drive. i prolly wouldnt watch any movies or even have a disc in there while sitting on the couch. not to mention desktop hard drives not being exactly designed for movement. back up frequently i'd say if you do that.
btw, the imac g5 has a 180 watt power supply. ever used a laptop that has that beefy a power supply? they get hot as hell. for instance i've used my friends alienware (i think, maybe something else?) with a 180 watt power supply and it was unusable on a lap.

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
sjpetry said:
How will you be able to use the mouse and keyboard with a 20lb iMac on your lap. Maybe you should get an iBook, it weighs 16lbs less. :)
I was trying to imagine sitting on a sofa, iMac 20" balanced on (and crushing) your lap with no support because your hands are needed for mouse and keyboard, and an extra long power cable...it's just weird.

*cough* laptop *cough*

Comment

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Having a 20 lb iMac with a keyboard and mouse on your lap would eventually get annoying, but what happens when you need to go to the potty in an "emergency!"! :p

Comment

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
This is one of the weirdest threads I've seen for a while.

Take one beautifully-designed and manufactured G5 iMac costing well over $1000 and weighing about 20lbs and pull it to bits so you can use it on your lap?

There are so many reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea, all detailed by the estimable MR members above. Doing something like that to it would also dramatically decrease its resale value...

What about using something like this. Or selling the iMac and getting a laptop instead?

Comment

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Assuming this thread is semi serious... isnt one key issue that the iMac is designed to take advantage of gravity in dissipating heat rapidly from a vent along the top of the unit, an affect that would be disrupted by having it lying horizontal on your lap?
Vanilla

Comment

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Well there's got to be a way cos it can be VESA mounted. I mean...the back of the computer isn't very hot, and the keyboard could be rested either on its chin or just below it with the mouse to the side. i dunno...it was a quirky idea of mine. :D :D

Comment

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
why not just sit your tv on your lap with a mac mini hooked up to it? and as far as someone mentioning an emergency trip to the potty, fuhgeddaboudit! once this setup heats up enough your genitals will fall off and you can just go as you please without paying any mind. have fun you psycho. by the way this is me being entirely pessimistic.

Comment

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
dotdotdot said:
Having a 20 lb iMac with a keyboard and mouse on your lap would eventually get annoying, but what happens when you need to go to the potty in an "emergency!"! :p
I have said it before and I'll say it again thats what the iPotty is for (it also reusable). ;) :rolleyes:

Sorry :eek:

Comment

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Jeez...I was just asking a question and I get a bunch of sarcasm and plain rudeness! I mean...why buy a $1000 iBook when I already have a computer. It's not like I'm going to be carrying it around, etc. It's just for when I'm not feeling well (like today) and don't want to have to be sitting at the computer and would rather be on the couch. I guess I will have to figure it out on my own...thanks for the helpful comments!

Comment

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Solution...

Why don't you get a BT keyboard and mouse...and just set the iMac on the coffee table in front of you?

Comment

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Having a 20" screen a foot or so from your eyes is a very bad idea. Having the iMac G5 in a horizontal position will only over heat the computer and might cause damage. Having it rest on your lap with all that heat will ruin your future possibilities as well. ;) :)

How many ways can people say this is a BAD IDEA? :)

Comment

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Picture in my head

OK - picture this with me.

Take one of those lap pillow things - connect to it a triangular tent (a metal rectangle bent in the middle say, 30 degrees) with a hole in it for the power chord and a "bumper" about 2 inches in front of the tent to keep the iMac from slipping down.

Someone with some capital - go do it! Maybe LTA could sell it alongside their iLugger bags (designed to make the iMacG5 more portable.)

I drew a pic, but I can't figure out how to post it here. ;)

That said, not doing it with my new iMac G5. Yup - it's going to travel with me quite a bit (to work for the week and back home on weekends), but it'll be going securely from table to table.

As fer taking the foot off - there are special VESA tools, I guess, for doing it. Not sure where to get them without buying an actual new mount.

Good luck!

Comment

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
appleretailguy said:
Why don't you get a BT keyboard and mouse...and just set the iMac on the coffee table in front of you?
Got BT kb + mouse

jsalzer said:
As fer taking the foot off - there are special VESA tools, I guess, for doing it. Not sure where to get them without buying an actual new mount.
I'm actually planning on buying that once I can justify the $250-$300 for the actual arm (I want one like the iMac G4)

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
ClarkeB said:
Should this thread be merged with the PowerBook-Hot testicles one-Low sperm count one??????

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.