Is it possible to 'temporarily' hack/ pad & fit iPad3 cover/case on Original iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by crashnburn, May 24, 2012.

1. crashnburn macrumors 6502

Is it possible to 'temporarily' hack/ pad & fit iPad3 cover/case on Original iPad 1?

I got a pre-owned iPad 1 from Cowboom (cheap deal) and want to use it for few months and see how much I use it. Most likely, I will and then hand it down and get the ipad 3.

I want to get a case for the iPad 3 that would somehow also manage the iPad 1 so that I dont have to spend for it again (of course Smart Cover magnets will not automate on iPad 1).

Which new iPad 3 cases do you think would work for this?

I can understand some stuff could be a little "loose" and not "perfect fit" but I dont mind padding it with a few sheets of paper or light fabric/ thin foam.

Any thoughts/ recommendations for now?

2. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I think you have it backwards: the iPad 1 is larger than the iPad 2/3, not smaller. No way would you have to pad an iPad 1 to fit an iPad 3 case.

A few iPad 3 cases might fit the iPad 1 but it would likely be a tight fit.

Mike

3. Night Spring, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPad 1 is not only thicker than 2/3, but the shape of the back is a lot different. While some folio-type cases do fit all three models, using an padded insert for 2/3, I wouldn't recommend it. I had a friend who tried such a case, and it didn't really fit any of the modes well and was generally miserable to hold. iPad 1 cases can be found with steep discounts, so you could get a decent case for very litttle. Just get a cheap case for the iPad 1, then when you upgrade to the 3, spend more money on a good case, if that's what you want.

Oh, and there is no way a smart-cover compatible case would fit an iPad 1. Those cases are molded to precisely fit the back of the 2/3, so wouldn't fit 1.

4. xraytech, May 24, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

Not temporary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXjMSF9kDBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://vimeo.com/22568730

5. crashnburn, May 24, 2012

crashnburn thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh! I wasnt aware of that or maybe got my facts/ numbers wrong. So, its thicker.. Got that.

Are there any FOLIO type cases that might work (since there are no magnets)?

Its been a bit of a pain to find the right iPad 1 covers now. Any recommendations?

Are there any old THREADS where some of the TOP/ BEST iPad 1 covers have come to light? Please do point me there as my Googling & Searching only brings the iPad 2/3 stuff since its in most demand now.

6. tl01 macrumors 65816

I just got a nice Incase cover or the iPad 1 on amazon for just over $6. I'd just get a dedicated iPad 1 cover and then pick out something you like when you get an iPad 3.

7. crashnburn thread starter macrumors 6502

can you link please?

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Go to amazon.com and search for iPad 1 cases

9. crashnburn thread starter macrumors 6502

Did that. Brings up stuff that's expensive for an old product.

PS: Can the previous posted link to the case they found?

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring