Is it possible to tether from iphone4 to iPad without jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hatcheeks, Jan 1, 2011.

1. hatcheeks macrumors member

hatcheeks

I don't want to buy a rip off bundle from my uk provider and I don't really want to jailbreak my iphone4. Someone told me it is possible to get the iphone to tether without having to jailbreak. This is the only thing that I am envious of android for. My mate can turn his HTC desire into a mobile wifi hotspot.

2. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Not that I am aware of, but if I may ask, why not jailbreak? Jailbreaking, the act, doesn't slow down / break / drain the battery of your device. The REASON Apple has it's App Store is to restrict Apps down to those that leave the device running EXACTLY as it should (even no camera buttons instead of volume buttons, lol). When you jailbreak a device, you open up the possibility for apps that don't do that, including apps that cause all of the negativity around jailbreaking- simply put, treat it like you treat your PC, don't download junk. MyWi is a great jailbreak App that will do just what your friends HTC does.

Otherwise, sadly, I do not believe there is any official (as in non-jailbreak) way to do this.

-John

3. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

it's possible, but you either need a developer account to digitally sign and install the app necessary to make it work, or know an iOS developer who is willing to register your device and sign the app for you.

once you've got that and made all the configuration changes necessary for your unique setup, you'll be able to create an adhoc connection between the two devices and share the iPhone's 3G connection.

here's how to do it, including the code for the app: http://www.pcworld.com/article/211495/how_to_tether_your_iphone_for_free_without_jailbreaking.html