Is it possible to tether GPS from an iPhone to a MBP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Messy, May 8, 2011.

1. Messy macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

In a little over a week im taking part in a rally, from Calais to Barcelona against 70 other teams.

We wanted to know, jailbroken or not, can you tether the GPS from an iPhone with a MacBook?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks in advance :)

2. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

I presume as there has been no reply that no one definitively knows?

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Most likely not. This isn't an aspect of tethering so it would have to be added as an additional software part. If you can find someone to code this for you it would totally work though. Ive wanted this as well for car rides with my MBP.

4. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

So it is possible to 'stream' (for lack of a better word) the Long/Lat coordinates if an app has been coded for this?

Does anyone know if this is a file or something that is accessable?

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In theory, you could have an app running on the phone that used the GPS to obtain the location, and a local server running that could be queried by an app on the MBP to provide location information to it. I say in theory because I'm not aware of any app that provides that functionality

6. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

One part of me thinks though, there *must* be a reason why someone hasn't done this. What with the App store on Macs now, it'd be a great opportunity to make a cross platform App.

7. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

8. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Im trying to avoid paying much money to be honest.

We're doing this rally for Charity (www.teamtopgoon.com) so costs are tight. Unfortunately I don't have an iPad.

I could always buy an external GPS Receiver and have that attached to the Mac.

I was hoping i could lower the amount of hardware I have to carry and utilise the GPS device.

I spoke to a developer a moment ago about coding an iPhone app, he said its possible, certainly to get the Long/Lat coords, but the issue would arrise when you want to stream that information to an external source.