Is it Possible to Tether to an Xbox360?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Agent 21, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Agent 21 macrumors regular

Before anyone freaks out about "ruining data usage for the rest of us by going crazy with downloads" blah blah blah (it's happened in a thread of mine before when I was asking a simple question), I do not, I repeat DO NOTwant to use the tethered connections to play online or to download things. I want to use it to recover my Gamertag.

I left for a 3 week surf trip on a boat and decided to bring my 360 for something to do in the downtime, but before I left I was playing in a Madden tournament at my friends and forgot to recover my Gamertag back to my system after. I wanna know if there is a way to tether my phone (using the Ben M tether "mod", not PDANet) to the 360 so I can recover my tag so I can actually save games/earn achievements under my name. Preferably right to the XBox, but there are computers on the boat should I need to go through one of them and a router.

Thanks in advance for any help/info

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I cant answer your question, but I have always wondered if this were possible as well.

"Dude, why did you quit our game?"
    "I got a phone call."
    :p

3. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, yeah that would be funny. I wouldn't even bother trying to actually play with the phone's tether though, just doesn't seem like it could handle it. I don't know exactly how much data is sent/recieved during online play, but it seems like it'd be a lot for the phone, especially over 3G.

I'm assuming it's not as easy as just enabling tethering then plugging it in via USB to the XBox. I also can't see how a router through a computer would work since normally the modem goes into the router then the computer/all other components go into the other ports, and obviously I can't plug the phone into an Ethernet port on a router. I know there are a lot of people here better than me at rigging up these gadgets though, so hopefully someone knows if it can be done, and how.

4. thep33t macrumors regular

If you were to use WiMi or myWi or w/e that WiFi tethering program is, you should be able to tether to your xbox assuming you have a wireless router/dongle attached to it...

5. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, but I'm looking for a wired solution for this. My fault, I should have specified that.

6. thep33t macrumors regular

that is possible, but a big pain. first, you have to set up your xbox to your computer using either a router or a crossover cable. You then need to enable internet connection sharing on your computer. You then need to use (hxxp://alk2blog.blogspot.com/2008/08/ssh-to-tether-your-iphone-over-usb.html) to tether your computer to your your iphone over the usb cable.

Now you should have your xbox online - albeit really slow. I dont remember the exact procedure to connect your xbox to your computer to share connection, but google it - it is a somewhat common problem with enough documentation to follow.

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Wired solution...only way I can think of would be if you have a router with you that allows both ethernet and usb to be plugged into it. You would have to hook the iphone to it as your "internet source" via usb. In other words, the iPhone would be taking the place a broadband modem. Then the xbox would be connected to it via ethernet cable. Should in theory work this way. Never tried it though so I do not know for sure.

Otherwise, there is no possible way. You cannot go directly from the iphone to the xbox by connecting the the xbox's USB ports. The xbox does not see this as an internet connection in its settings. On the other hand, if you have a hacked xbox, you might be able too. :cool:

8. superxero3 macrumors regular

If you have a mac, tether your iPhone to your computer, then plug your xbox 360 wired ethernet port into the ethernet port or your computer (patch cable or crossover will work, they will auto-sense). In the sharing preferences, enable internet sharing FROM the usb interface TO the wired ethernet interface, and your computer will act as a router and your 360 will be online.

On windows you should be able to do this also, by bridging the 2 interfaces.. hope this helps.

9. taibant macrumors member

i have done this before on vista

tether your iPhone to the PC
    connect the 360 to your network port on the PC
    open the network connections screen in vista (network and sharing center> manage network connections)

select both your iphone and your ethernet connection and right click. select bridge connections

it will take a couple of seconds, but once its done you should be able to get online through your 360!

just right click and delete the bridge when youre done

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hey guys, I know it's off topic, how about going to this thread and helping out this member:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=768845

She seems to not be able to get her tethering to work, and mainly gets trolling (possibly due to her tone). Maybe one of you can get her fixed up.

11. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Even though you took my thread off-topic (haha, just messin around), i'll still help. I posted a video link that shows the OP exactly what to do from getting the BenM file to tethering to a Mac.

As for all the help I've gotten, thanks everyone. I'm on a PC, not a Mac, so I'll try Taibant's method, but I appreciate all the suggestions :cool: