Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Hello -
I just realized I had important documents in my public folder on my macbook (I put them there from my iMac but forgot to take them out of the folder). I then realized that I had my access set so anyone could read my folder. I'm stupid for not paying more attention to this, but I am wondering if there is anyway you can tell if the folder has been accessed or if any files were copied from it. I can see other computers sometimes when I am on certain networks. Due to the nature of these documents, it is important that I know. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Kinji

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
One more piece of info - when I turned off file sharing it prompted me that users may be connected and I could set a timer before the connection shut down. Does this mean that someone was definitely connected or does this prompt always come up just as a warning?

Also, is there a way to view the history of the permissions set for the folder? It was about a month ago that I initially put the documents on my public folder, but within the past few days I was messing around with access permissions to the public folder because I was having trouble getting Back to my Mac to work between my macbook and imac. So, I may have only had these permissions wide open for everyone to read for only a few days. Now I am wondering if there is a way to check the history of these permissions. Any feedback would be much appreciated. This anxiety of not knowing if my files were accessed is killing me!

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
But can Tracker retroactively track activity?

Also, do you know about the timer prompt when I turned off file sharing- does this suggest someone was connected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.