Is it possible to trade up my current 15" for the next gen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drewjonn, Sep 17, 2016.

1. drewjonn macrumors regular

I bought the 15" mid 2015 version this January and have to say I should've waited for next month's release, especially that it's a re-model.

I bought it in Asia and it was extremely expensive, not sure if I can trade it up at Apple?

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I'm not aware of Apple doing trade-in program for Mac.

3. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

No, you can't do that. Since you bought it in January you can't return it anymore, obviously.

If you're feeling confident, you can sell this computer in advance, which will make it more valuable than if you wait after the announcement. But it's still a risky move, so if you're not sure, sell it after the announcement and after you've decided you want this computer.

4. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Please share if you find out more. Somebody told me that there is an upgrade programme in China as long as you are under AppleCare but I have no details or evidence if this is true. I'd be very interested however!

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

No, such thing doesn't exist. Upgrade programmes are for iPhone only, and currently only in the US, UK, and China.

6. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

As said apparently this is a China specific programme, but maybe just a myth... :-/

7. Queen6, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Myth, Apple has no special arrangements in China as far as I am aware, and I have lived behind the GreatWall for many a year...

Q-6

8. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Whilst not a trade as such, Apple do a Renew system. Is basically you provide the machine to Apple and they provide a Gift card. From what I can tell though doesn't give that great a return

9. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Oh well, was worthwhile asking. There goes my hope to get a new MBP cheaply :)

10. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

Or...you could just enjoy the one you have. My Macbook Pro 15 is six years old and still running strong. I'll probably upgrade when the new ones come out, but even if they weren't, I'd stick with what I have and get a few more years out of it. So be happy with what you have and move on. Life's too short to be worrying about having the latest and greatest gadgets or whatever. Someday, you'll be at the bottom of a six foot hole, and no one's going to remember you for whatever computer you used to use. Seriously.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As others stated, there's no program, as they say buyer beware. If you buy a MBP now, don't expect apple to give you a credit and allow you to trade up to the newer model.

12. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Oh I do enjoy it and it's not at all about upgrading. But at some point in time I will have to pay for a battery replacement and if at that moment I was able to also get a new machine (of the same model!), it would have been great.... I have the 2014 15" so in any case, the 2015 model is not much of a change (let aside the forcetouch touchpad which I don't care too much about. And since I have been rather underwhelmed by the latest Apple launches and their compromises (iPhone 7, MB Retina), I have rather low expectations for the new MBP I'm afraid to say.

13. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Some stores will do trade-ins, but the value they give you is something like 20%. It's really, absurdly low. You could easily sell it online, as-is, for way more than 20% of the value. If you're willing to trade it in and accept a loss of 80% of the value, then you should have no problems listing it for 50% off retail on ebay or somewhere and watching someone snap it up in 1-2 hours, after confirming that your ad is not a scam :>

14. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

You can use Apple's recycle via 3rd party. Most stores don't do trade-ins for Macs. But their recycle program will give a digital credit via email. Google it.