Is it possible to transfer 3g Unlimited Plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by md63, Jun 2, 2010.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

With the pending changes to the AT&T 3g data plans for the ipad I was wondering if its possible to transfer the plan if the ipad is sold? Also, would an iPad with an active 3g unlimited plan be worth more after AT&T eliminates the plans? I'm asking because I was on the fence about buying an iPad, however, with the pending rate change and elimination of the unlimited plan I was thinking about pulling the trigger. If I don't feel its right for me, then I was wondering if its possible to sell it with the data plan attached since it would appear to be possibly worth more to a buyer.

Also, for people in New York City who are using the 3g how is the performance relative to WiFi?

Thanks

2. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I asked this yesterday and unfortunately no one responded. I'm not familiar with the AT&T subscription process. If I sign up for an unlimited plan and use it for a few months and then decided I don't really need it or like the service, can I give the sim to someone else and allow them to use it? Is the ipad 3g account somehow tied to your iPhone account?

Thanks
    Mike

3. Tharkhold macrumors newbie

The sim card/account that is grandfathered with unlimited 3G could be worth *more* rather than the actual iPad... you can transfer the sim card in any 3G ipad...

4. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. I understand the sim can be used in a different unit and might be worth more to someone after the new rate plans go into effect. Can the account that is associated with the sim be changed without disturbing the unlimited plan?

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, but can't ATT see what device you are using your SIM on? If they catch you they would probably cancel your account, force you to pay the termination fee, and ban you from ever having a new account.

6. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if anyone has determine if an unlimited iPad data account can be transferred to another person. I did some google searches on this but haven't seen anything on it.

I'm pretty sure my usage will not exceed 2GB per month and I have a friend who is going to get an iPad and would like my unlimited plan. It's my understanding that the account is associated with the sim and not the iPad. Would it be possible to change the billing information on the account and keep the unlimited plan? And then I could just swap sims between the unit?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I believe I read another thread here where a poster confirmed with AT&T that changing the billing info does not disrupt the unlimited plan. However, they may have been only referring to changing a credit card that had expired or an address. You'd have to change all of that and the name of the account holder as well in order to sell it.

Call AT&T and ask but be specific about what you want to do.

8. brucku macrumors regular

Confirm

I am here to confirm that the iPad unlimited 3G plan is fully transferable. And by fully, I mean that I was able to do the following. (keep in mind that I did not have any trouble so the order I did it in most likely has no significance. This is just how I did it)

1- changed password, pressed done, waited for confirmation then re-entered account info
    2-changed email address (after each step I confirmed the change and left and re entered the account info screen)
    3- changed name on account
    4- changed credit card and billing address

Effectively the sim is entirely mine now. No issues at all. re-bill cycle is in 8 days. I will report back If I have any problems but I don't expect any.

9. blindedinfear macrumors newbie

So did it work out okay?