Is it possible to transfer saved games in an app to another device?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by krypt17, Mar 2, 2010.

1. krypt17 macrumors member

I just bought the final fantasy app for my iPhone 3G and was wondering if it was possible if I ended up buying a 3GS (or 4G.. whenever it comes out) when my contract is up, is it possible to xfer the saved games from my 3G to the 3GS/4G???

2. gdlcjr macrumors regular

Yes, you can even have both apps on both Iphones

3. krypt17 thread starter macrumors member

I know you can have both apps on both iphones, but how do you transfer the saved files???

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You restore from the backup of the 3G onto your 3GS. Simple.

5. krypt17 thread starter macrumors member

then why after doing research on the question, some people say it will work, others are saying you need to jailbreak your iphone and use appbackup from cydia..

I understand the app transfers, but I remember when the Apple store replaced my iphone my VampiresLive character was gone..

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Uh, because they don't know what they're talking about??

Backups contain game saves and app settings. If you don't have any jailbroke games, you don't need to be jailbroke to get the game saves. Period.

7. krypt17 thread starter macrumors member

8. krypt17 thread starter macrumors member

So I tried a simple backup and this did not work. I need something that will backup SAVE files from an app. I cannot jailbreak as I am using 3.1.3 so appbackup is out of the question. Please help!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do you mean it didnt work?
    You sync your 3G and that automaticly creates a backup of your phone and saved app files etc.
    Then when you get a 3GS you plug it in itunes and instead of setting up as new you click restore from backup "johns Iphone" example.
    Thats it.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm glad you posted, since he's probably pissed off and thinks I messed him up.

What I believe the OP did was restore from the 3GS backup. The OP needs to open iTunes, look under the "Summary" tab, Option-click "Restore" (that is, click on restore, while holding down the "Option" key), and choose your 3G Backup name.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont even think he has a 3GS. He's talking about if/when he buys another iphone. Either a 3GS or the new one this summer.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Then what's he doing coming on here and saying it didn't work??? :)

facepalm/ (too lazy to get the pic)

13. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Here ya go Aggie

[​IMG]

double facepalm for having a VampiresLive account ( those games are a complete waste of time/money for very bored people )

14. krypt17 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not blameing anyone. I tried to delete the app, then do a backup. Maybe I did the backup wrong or something. I tried it on a game that I had a low level save on. So it didnt matter.

As for VampiresLive... I agree its a waste of time. thats why after I lost it I never did it again. I dont wanna waste my time on it again nor that Mafia or ZombiesLive game.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Explain better what you did, since you don't have the 3GS, which was unclear from the OP.

Here's how I understand it. You deleted an app. Then you backed up the iPhone. So, what did you expect this to do?

If you're trying to test this on only the 3G, then backup the iPhone in iTunes, delete an app on the iPhone, and then restore from a backup and sync the app back to the iPhone.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think the op understands how the backup feature works.
    You don't delete first the backup your iPhone and then expect
    the deleted apps settings to be there.
    You backup first. Then if u delete the program or texts, contacts etc you can do a restore from backup to get them back.