Is it possible to turn off DATA (edge, 3g, gprs etc) on version 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by a1dipship, Jul 20, 2008.

1. a1dipship macrumors regular

I only want wifi access as i dont want to pay for mobile data.

On version 1.0 you cant turn off the data - only go into airplane mode which turns all communication off.

I want the phone & wifi to work (when im at home) - not edge, gprs, 3g etc.

Is this possible? If yes, ill upgrade to v2.0.

Thanks.

2. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

the iPhone 2.0 software allows you to turn on Airplane mode and THEN turn back on Wifi. That way, a traveler can still access the Internet without interfering with the onboard systems on the aircraft. However, the plane also has to have a Wifi connection, which they're now pretty fond of doing.

That's the only way I can think of doing it. If you're not using it as an actual phone, then you're all set. If you're planning on using it as a phone, I suggest finding another mobile device.

3. izibo macrumors 6502

At home, it should default to wifi when it can (I think the exception would be SMS). For instance, when you are checking your email or using safari it should automatically be going through wifi.

4. GAdawg macrumors member

Go to Settings, General, Network. There is a data roaming button just like in version 1.0. You can then turn data roaming off, but still make and receive calls and texts. I have the original iPhone with 2.0 and have been using this while traveling and it works without any data roaming charges.

5. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

There is no way to turn off data and keep receiving calls.

Turn off roaming only turns off data on a network other than the carrier (who they have roaming agreements with). It doesn't stop data from being transferred when within the network.

Airplane mode is the only way, but it turns off all cell use.