Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kocoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Is it possible to turn on airplane mode automatically when the iPad sleeps?

Thanks

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
There is no way to turn on airplane mode automatically. And no it's not in airplane mode whilst sleeping. I thought my iPad was in airplane mode this morning when I heard it receive an email. I know it was sleeping, because I tucked it in before I went to bed.

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
why would you want to?

I put mine into airplane mode when I'm not going to be using it for more than 30 minutes. It turns off the wifi and in my opinion prolongs the battery. I started doing this at night and noticed that the 3% battery loss over night stopped.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
You won't get icloud backups when you are plugged in over night if you turn on Airplane mode.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
In effect, the iPad is in AirPlane mode while sleeping, is it not?:confused:

No, it is not. Airplane mode shuts down the WiFi (and cellular if you have it) radios. When the iPad is in sleep mode, the radios remain on (although in a lower power state) and the iPad is still connected to a network.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I put mine into airplane mode when I'm not going to be using it for more than 30 minutes. It turns off the wifi and in my opinion prolongs the battery. I started doing this at night and noticed that the 3% battery loss over night stopped.

IMO thats pretty rediculous to save 3% of the battery overnight. Why not just plug it in at night?

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Charging it every night won't harm the battery. Aren't these types of batteries designed for > 1000 charges....that's 3 years if you charged every night...about the life of these devices before it's time for an upgrade.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Charging it every night won't harm the battery. Aren't these types of batteries designed for > 1000 charges....that's 3 years if you charged every night...about the life of these devices before it's time for an upgrade.

1000 charge CYCLES, not 1000 charges. Which means it would last even longer than 3 years if you didn't charge from 0% to 100% every night.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
What I want is to be able to automatically connect to iphone tethering only when not asleep..

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Umm ¿Qué?

As things stand, when tether ipad to iphone's internet, it keeps collection active when both devices are put to sleep, thus draining batteries pointlessly.

I want to be able to establish the connection automatically when ipad is woken from sleep, and no way is provided to do this. Meaning I have to constantly visit settings app to disconnect/reconnect.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
As things stand, when tether ipad to iphone's internet, it keeps collection active when both devices are put to sleep, thus draining batteries pointlessly.

I want to be able to establish the connection automatically when ipad is woken from sleep, and no way is provided to do this. Meaning I have to constantly visit settings app to disconnect/reconnect.

Ok so what does that have to do with this thread? The thread is about airplane mode not tethering.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Ok so what does that have to do with this thread? The thread is about airplane mode not tethering.

Because it's a related subject, disabling some part of radio when in sleep mode, automatic air plane mode would be half the battle, could at least stop having to manually disconnect, and only reconnect when needed.

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
I'm pretty sure my 1st gen iPad used to shut off the wifi radio once it went into sleep mode prior to iOS5.

After upgrading to iOS5, the wifi stays on indefinitely from what I can tell.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I think your thinking about things too much if you put it in airplane mode if your not going to use it for more than 30 minutes.

For me, and I'm not saying i'm right, the iPad is all about how instant everything is, Apple really is trying to get the technology out of the way.

"What film was he in?"

BOOM, open the smart cover and type it in, done, put it back down and watch the movie.

I mean, each to his own, and if it makes you happy then power to you, but I don't think you're getting the most out of your device.

When I went on holiday for a week last year I left my iPad on my bed, smart cover closed. I came home and it had gone down about 30%.... pretty amazing :)

jamswirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
I've got airplane mode on, but wifi on too (got tired of it displaying "no sim"). Can/will it still do iCloud backups?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.