Is it possible to turn on "track changes" and/or to insert comments in pages on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frederiksberg, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Frederiksberg macrumors member

Hi everyone

I'm a high school teacher living in Denmark, and I', very close to buying an iPad. It seems to be exactly what I've been waiting for BUT -
    I have an important question, and I haven't been able to find the answer. I would be very grateful, if you guys would help me.
    I often receive my student's papers as word document. So I need to be able to comment them, make changes and highlight these changes. So far I'v been doing it on my iMac...

- Is it possible to turn on "track changes" (or a similar feature) in pages on the iPad?

-Is it possible to insert comments?

- If one or both of the above can be done, will they export to word?

Asger

2. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

I would be incredibly grateful, if someone would test it for me! :)

3. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I don't think these features are implemented in pages (or documents to go) yet.

Hopefully they are coming soon, I think they are as Pages seems more like a beta than a finished product IMHO.

4. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was afraid of... Can you confirm it? I really hope, this will be implemented. If the ipad is to compete with netbooks (maybe it's not...), it can lack important features like that.

5. wyneken macrumors regular

Hi Asger -- I teach high school in Maine, USA. I should be getting my iPad tomorrow and I've downloaded Pages already. I'll be happy to share my experiences and impressions with you. Can you send me a personal message here to remind me, or email me at wyneken at gmail dot com?

6. drnkusv macrumors newbie

Sadly, unless I am missing something, Pages cannot handle tracked changes. I imported a Word document that has tracked changes, and I get a popup notice that says Pages cannot display them, and instead has "accepted all the changes" during the important process.

This is unfortunate -- I was really hoping the iPad would be able to handle redlining. Perhaps some developer will implement it using a third party app.

7. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Hi Wineken

I would really appreciate that very much! That would be great! I'll email you :)

Thanks for trying it out - although it doesn't bode well for my hopes... Like you say - maybe it will be done by a third party developer. Or maybe jailbreaking opens up some perspectives!

8. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Well, there's no doubt anymore. This article explains, that Pages doesn't allow you to make comments or track changes.

That's so annoying, 'cause that's a deal breaker for me. In every other aspect, the iPad is just what I want... Gonna have to go with a macbook air, I guess...