is it possible to turn the ipod into a phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pcomac, Jun 26, 2012.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2011
    how do you turn ipod touch into a phone with number that people can call you? my phone reception on my college campus sucks. but the wife is great... i get wifi everywhere. i cant switch companies cus im under contract and i dont want to pay cancellation. i have a dumb phone cus i only text and maybe call on my phone. i have an ipod touch and ipad. also, will any app available for iphone also work on ipad and ipod?
  2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

Jul 12, 2011
    Yes talkatone, vonage or you can even have your sim card lonk to your ipod touch with gmate adapter!
  3. Dark Dragon macrumors member

Goober VOIP, Skype out, there are much more if you search "VOIP" in the app store :), adding to what the bro ^ said :D
  4. Mike73 macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2012
    You could also try gtalk. Making calls within the US is free. I think you can also get a phone number via google, allthough I don't know if that's free.
  5. blueroom macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Get a VoIP service like and AcroBits for iOS.
  6. wezzyjoker macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2012
    Ive seen some nice cases on some Chinese websites in which you just put your iPod touch into it (it has a dock connector that you plug your iPod into) then just slide in a sim card in the back and your good to go. I think there's a phone app from the appstore to go with it. They also come with a battery to power the case and charge your iPod. It costs around 70$. But if you want to go with a economical option try the magic jack app or the net talk app
  7. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

Oct 2, 2011
    iPod touch as a phone

If you have FaceTime and a wifi service, the ipod toch can practically act like a phone. Plus with iMessage “texting" just got easier.
  8. Dark Dragon macrumors member

Oh and, try MagicJack!, it allows you to call any number(in some limited countries which i do not remember) and gives you your own number, all for free, oh and, you can call any MagicJack user internationally for free, too ;D
  9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

Feb 16, 2012
    Glad to hear the misses is ok.
  10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012
    Download Pinger. It has everything you need. They even give you a free local phone number for texting and calling.
  11. itouchipodtouch macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2012
  12. MacIke macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2003
    The Frigid Wasteland of MN
  13. ToothTooth macrumors member

Oct 8, 2010
    North Carolina, USA

I have the Media5-Fone SIP app configured to work with my home VOIP service. So when someone dials my home number, my ipod rings and I can answer the call on my ipod. I can also make outbound calls from the ipod and the person I'm calling sees my home number on their caller ID.
  14. baypharm macrumors 65816

Nov 15, 2007
    Correct me if I am wrong but Pinger is only free if you use Pinger to Pinger calling. Pinger to land line or Pinger to cell phone costs $$$.
  15. Dadmaddad macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2012
    Use text free app. It is now pinger owned but still u can get it for all calls and text. I get freemins by using my cc to get one month Netflix trial free and cancel before it charges me. I get 500 plus mins