is it possible to turn the ipod into a phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pcomac, Jun 26, 2012.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

how do you turn ipod touch into a phone with number that people can call you? my phone reception on my college campus sucks. but the wife is great... i get wifi everywhere. i cant switch companies cus im under contract and i dont want to pay cancellation. i have a dumb phone cus i only text and maybe call on my phone. i have an ipod touch and ipad. also, will any app available for iphone also work on ipad and ipod?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yes talkatone, vonage or you can even have your sim card lonk to your ipod touch with gmate adapter!

3. Dark Dragon macrumors member

Goober VOIP, Skype out, there are much more if you search "VOIP" in the app store :), adding to what the bro ^ said :D

4. Mike73 macrumors newbie

You could also try gtalk. Making calls within the US is free. I think you can also get a phone number via google, allthough I don't know if that's free.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get a VoIP service like voip.ms and AcroBits for iOS.

6. wezzyjoker macrumors newbie

Ive seen some nice cases on some Chinese websites in which you just put your iPod touch into it (it has a dock connector that you plug your iPod into) then just slide in a sim card in the back and your good to go. I think there's a phone app from the appstore to go with it. They also come with a battery to power the case and charge your iPod. It costs around 70$. But if you want to go with a economical option try the magic jack app or the net talk app

7. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

iPod touch as a phone

If you have FaceTime and a wifi service, the ipod toch can practically act like a phone. Plus with iMessage “texting" just got easier.

8. Dark Dragon macrumors member

Oh and, try MagicJack!, it allows you to call any number(in some limited countries which i do not remember) and gives you your own number, all for free, oh and, you can call any MagicJack user internationally for free, too ;D

9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Glad to hear the misses is ok.

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Download Pinger. It has everything you need. They even give you a free local phone number for texting and calling.

11. itouchipodtouch macrumors newbie

Lol

12. MacIke macrumors regular

MacIke

13. ToothTooth macrumors member

This

This.

I have the Media5-Fone SIP app configured to work with my home VOIP service. So when someone dials my home number, my ipod rings and I can answer the call on my ipod. I can also make outbound calls from the ipod and the person I'm calling sees my home number on their caller ID.

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Correct me if I am wrong but Pinger is only free if you use Pinger to Pinger calling. Pinger to land line or Pinger to cell phone costs $$$.

15. Dadmaddad macrumors newbie

Use text free app. It is now pinger owned but still u can get it for all calls and text. I get freemins by using my cc to get one month Netflix trial free and cancel before it charges me. I get 500 plus mins